How do I cool my Denon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Feb 27, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I have recently installed a Denon 3801 and finally have it running smoothly. But it runs *very* hot, particularly now that I have it running the TV audio signal which means it gets heavy use. You can almost burn your hand on it. It is bad enough that after running continuously for about 4 hours, it started going into something like protect mode, where the power light flashes. This could be a short in the speaker connections, but given how hot the unit was, I am guessing it was heat (the manual says it can be either of those 2 things).

Is there somewhere I can buy a small fan that will clip on to almost any service and uses a conventional plug? I am looking for something that will fit in the back of my TV cabinet where the Denon resides. It must be pretty small, as there isn't much space there.

Any other cooling suggestions would be helpful.

2. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

If you have you 3801 inside an entertainment center without adequate clearspace around it, that would account for your heat problem. It's ususally recommended that your receiver (or amplifier) be placed in the open so that it has sufficient airflow around it to keep it cool. I have my 3801 on the top of my equipment cabinet (not on an inside shelf) and it never got uncomfortably hot, even after playing "The Perfect Storm" at reference levels.

As for fans, 120V fans are usually on the noisy side. What has been recommended here in the past is to use 12VDC muffin fans connected to a multi-voltage AC/DC transformer to run it at 6VDC or so. Your requirement for a small fan makes it a little difficult, though, as your best bet would be to get a bigger fan running at a slow speed. A small fan will need to run faster to move the same volume of air, producing more noise.

What I did on my cabinet to vent behind my DVD player was to screw in a couple of small cup hooks into the back of shelf above the DVD player. Then I hung the fan on those hooks using the mounting holes in the fan's casing. This allowed me to use a large 5" fan. The transformer is plugged into the switched outlet on the 3801 so the fan turns on whenever the receiver is on.

Hope this was helpful.

Bill

3. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

ok that reciever has been known to get so hot that is breaks... especially in a cabinet. i work for a home audio store and i personally have removed about 6 to 10 of them due to this heat problem..... i have read somewhere that ppl have taken apart the reciever and installed a higher rpm fan on the back. Some of the soultions i have done is to unfortuntly add a 120 volt fan ported out the back of the cabinet. This can cause alot of noise depending on where and what its mounted to.

-see if you can call the retailer and request that it gets sent back for a better fan. or you could try to install one yourself....

you can also try to get the most quiet fan out there and drill a 2 3/4 hole..

hope this helps.... just make sure you don't let this go unattended b/c you will fry it!!!

l8rz,

adam

4. EricHaas

Thanks for the suggestions. I can use a fan up to about 6 inches in diameter. When I said small I just meant not huge. Where can I buy such a fan? Brand names?

Another thing I may do is remove the plywood back panel from the unit so that it is open in the back. I am hoping between this, a fan and keeping the glass door open while in use it will have sufficient cooling.

5. Adam Krogul

6 inches? holy cow is that huge.... im talking about a 120mm fan that could be bought at your local radio shack (electronic parts store)
    6 inches would be pointless b/c the fan that is on the back of the reciever is only 80 mm
    something to this effect to give you an idea,,
    http://www.mcicorp.com/fan/ac4c.htm
    l8rz,
    adam:b

6. EricHaas

Thanks Adam. I said 6 inches absolute max. How would you mount those fans shown in your link? They look like the fans I have mounted in my computer chassis, but the chassis has special holes for them.

7. MikeHarley

MikeHarley Extra

I've had my 3801 for about two months. It sits open on all sides while I wait for my cabinet to be built. It runs perfectly cool, even after many hours of TV, or a couple hours of a loud DVD.

This leads me to believe that you are preventing the air from circulating through the vents. The manual says minimum 4" from the vents. Let it breathe!

8. EricHaas

Or maybe the fan is busted? I certainly don't hear any fan noise, even subtle, when I turn it on. Should I hear it?

9. Adam Krogul

the fan is located on the back of the reciever and you should be able to place your hand back there and feel the breeze... the fans i showed you would require you to drill a hole (size = size of fan) and 4 little pilot holes for the screws to mount the fan to the cabinet.... basically just like the computer case fan...

two thoughts*

heat rises and make sure you have the fan up high

make sure you have 4in OR MORE of space on the top of the reciever.

l8rz,

adam

10. EricHaas

Thanks. Unfortunetly, there is only a half inch on top of the receiver. It is a cabinet that must house 2 other components with limited vertifical space. I suspect this is the problem. Furthermore, I now think there is at least a 50/50 chance the unit is broken. It now powers down after a maximum of 10 minutes of use, regardless of how hot or cool it is. However, this has all happened in the last few hours, and I haven't tested it under all conditions.
    I cannot stick the receiver in the middle of my floor and run it that way. If I had known about this issue, I would never have bought this receiver. I cannot have a receiver that turns into a fireball because I put it into a standard stereo cabinet. The Sony before it was in there for 2 years with constant use and never had a problem. I will likely return it and get a different brand. [​IMG]

11. Adam Krogul

im sorry to hear your experience with the denon was a bad one. unfortantly that was the only denon reciever that has such an issue, that is why they release the 3802 so quickly... i would try to get a hold of the place you bought it from and talk to then about it... i wouldn't doubt that denon might cover the cost of fixing it... its definitly a design fault on their part...

im sorry but im very bias to the denon recievers b/c i feel that they are the best sounding recievers out there for the price range.

btw- a 1/2 of inch is a problem for any reciever to produce heat.. you should try to reslove this problem.... possbilly put the reciever on top with hole on the top of cabinet?

good luck,

adam

12. EricHaas

BTW, it appears the problem is that the fan does not function. I cannot hear anything and there is no breeze in the back of the receiver. And it gets hot running it even if it is pulled all the way out of the cabinet.

Unfortunately, I doubt that it will simply be a question of fixing the fan, as I do not think the fan ever functioned and I think that now it has caused other damage. This was a demo model that I got very cheap without a warranty, but I am still within the dealer's return policy. I will have to return it.

I was pretty furious initially that I had to buy an extra S-Video cable just so that I could see the on screen display and adjust basic settings. But now after this I doubt I will ever consider another Denon again. Thanks again for the help.

13. Adam Krogul

I was pretty furious initially that I had to buy an extra S-Video cable just so that I could see the on screen display and adjust basic settings. But now after this I doubt I will ever consider another Denon again. Thanks again for the help.

why did you have to get an extra s-video cable to adjust the settings?

are you using the reciever to do your video switching?

..... the OSD (on screen display) can be veiwed from a composite cable.... you know the yellow, cheapy cable that comes in a box with the vcr or even a cd player aka RCA. if this wasn't possible then you got a defective unit from the start. I would be very leary of the store you got it from

hope it all works out for ya,

l8rz,

adam

14. EricHaas

Actually, I tried the standard video cable, and the on-screen display does not appear. And that is true even if I *unplug* the s-video cable running from the DVD to the back of the TV. It only works if I have an s-video running from the Denon to the TV. I know, it is supposed to work with a standard RCA video cable, but it doesn't.

Anyway, I am going to take it in to the shop and see if it can be fixed inexpensively. If not, back to the dealer it goes and I think I will get an Onkyo tx-ds595. I don't really need the extra amped channels yet, and I do want PL2.

15. EricHaas

Thanks Mark. I think the issue now is that it has suffered damage, most likely because the Denon's internal fan is not functioning, as evidenced by the lack of fan noise and lack of air venting from the back, as well as the fact that the unit quickly gets hot even when running outside the enclosure. I will see if I can get it repaired reasonably. If so, I will look into getting one of those fans from partsexpress.

16. EricHaas

To everyone who followed this thread, I want you to know how it turned out. It appears there was a speaker wire crossing because I did not terminate them properly. So this may have caused a short which caused the Denon to go into protect mode. The problem may have been unrelated to heat. The repair guy also said that the fan is not on all the time, and you do not necessarily feel a breeze out the back. He also said this particular model tends to run hot. Anyway, it appears to be functioning now. No reapir was necessary. I have convinced the wife to remove the VCR from the cabinet which will free up space for at least 4" above the Denon. And I have ordered a fan from Partsexpress.com.

Thanks for all the help.

17. Adam Krogul

im glad it worked out for ya eric

l8rz,

adam