What's new

How do I control a remote cable box ? (1 Viewer)

jmyers014

Auditioning
Real Name
John
We are remodelling our home and all the walls are open. We want to wall mount our TV's in bedrooms and main room, each has its own cable box and in some cases BR or DVD. To create the clean look we want to hide the cable box etc in the bedroom closet. How can I control the cable box etc using the cable remote when its situated behind a wall ? We have run the cable signal to the closet and a HDMI from the closet to the wall mount TV.

As the solution has to be repeated in 5 locations I am looking for a cost effective solution.

Thx in advance. John

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum John :)

Ive used the Next Generation system for years with no complaints. If all of your remotes are either AA or AAA battery power you just replace one of the batteries with an RF transmitter/battery. Either use a IR blaster for a single component or you can use the base unit positioned in front of the gear to control the whole rack (thats how I use it). IIRC it comes with a single IR blaster cable but you can order 3 or 6 blaster cables also. System comes with two rechargeable batteries, so one is always charged in the base unit while the other is in use. Of course youll need to order extra batteries for each additional room or remote. Even then the whole house system will be under $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

Never used it but if you want a more traditional wired solution (or maybe you have a rechargeable remote) looks like this one will do three rooms. Do your research on this one, I have no experience with them:

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-TM-Repeater-extender/dp/B009ZGK6QS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=116XS749Z09UW&coliid=I2E14KQNS2Q9A2

liaminga

Auditioning
Real Name
Liam
I think Xantech is way overpriced and over-hyped.

I've been using these Buffalo kits for years for my Customer's Home Theater systems; they have a three year warranty, but I've never had to replace one:

Infrared Repeater Kit

The shielded cable makes a difference, if nothing else for peace of mind.

Liam

Andretti

Agent
Real Name
Bryan
I have two of the ones from the link directly above. One allows me to have a flatscreen tv mounted high up on the wall in our kitchen, yet have the receiver down in the basement and still change channels, while the other allows me to have the tv on the wall in our bedroom, and its receiver inside the closet. I've had this set up for over 5 years now, and really like it. For IR, I'm not aware of anything better for the price.

Andretti

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks