How do I connect a sub to my reciever?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MichaelBAr, Jan 17, 2004.

1. MichaelBAr

MichaelBAr Stunt Coordinator

I have a technics sa ex 140 (stereo reciever)which has no sub output. I hear that there is another way by connecting the speakers to the sub then the sub to the reciever. Will this distort the sound? What features does the sub need to do that? What other features should I look for in a sub, my room is small so I was thinking of around 100 watts maybe 75 at the least.

I'm 15 so I'm on a $100-130 budget for my subwoofer. My current set up consists of 2 Klipsch Heresy speakers(step dad gave them to me), my stereo reciever, and graphic equilizer. Eventually I want to replace the stereo reciever with a 5.1 channel sourround sound one, with a pair of rear channel speakers and a center channel one, along with my sub.

2. MichaelBAr

als the manual can be found at amazon

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think you have too many choices in your price range, but this one from Parts Express would probably work the way you describe. The only problem is the fixed 125Hz high pass. If your receiver has two sets of outputs, you could run the mains off one, and the sub off the other, then adjust the x-over to your taste.

4. MichaelBAr

Ok, but does connecting the sub to reciever while speakers to sub distort sound? What features does my sub need to have? I hear that I can't use passive subs, and it needs to have speaker out or something like that.

5. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Micheal, I have my sub hooked up the way you described. Run your wires from the reciever to the "in" on the powered sub and then your speakers to the "out" of the sub. You can still have control of the volume and the crossover of the sub. I recommend a powered sub over a passive sub. With your limited budget, I'de recommend a Dayton sub, or maybe try the local pawn shops in your area. Good Luck. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. MichaelBAr

thanks