How do I completely uninstall everything "nvidia" from my cpu?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I decided to forego the GeForce4 and picked up an ATI Radeon 8500 retail today. Im concerned that my Soyo Dragon+ may have some compatibility issues with a whole new video card (currently a Leadtek GeForce2 GTS 32MB) unless I completely uninstall all the Nvidia reference drivers. How do I go about doing this without reformatting?
    I've got too good of a High Heat Baseball season going to lose it all with a reformat! [​IMG]

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Rob- I'd try simply uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs and then use a registry cleaner (like Norton's RegClean) to get rid of all the keys. The actual driver files on your system should only cause a problem if they are in use by Windows at the time.

You might also try to simply find the High Heat savefiles and reformat. Reformatting a PC (unless you are running a unix based OS) periodically is a really good idea.

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

well, the standard way to change video cards is to switch to standard VGA drivers, then install the new card with the standard VGA drivers and install the new ati drivers when it prompts you. if there were extra programs that you installed from nvidia just use the add/remove programs

as far as i know, a registry cleaning isnt necessary, but it can only help...

4. Wes T

Wes T Stunt Coordinator

Hello again Rob. Go to www.guru3d.com and download the program called Detonator destroyer. It will clean all registry settings out. You should first do an uninstall, then run the destroyer. Restart and just install a standard VGA adapter. Restart again and then install the new drivers. Should fix you right up. Wes

5. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Thanks guys! Things are workign great! Too bad Im stuck trying to get another damn computer built and not gaming with my new vid card [​IMG]

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Rob

FYI: ATI just posted a new MMC, Hydravision, and Display drivers on their site. Make sure when you do install your Radeon 8500 you use these instead of the crap on the install disc.