How do I clean-up cable signal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Ealey, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Dan Ealey

Dan Ealey Extra

Dan
    I'm forced to run my cable thru my VCR to my Television. Several channels are barely visible due to lines running thru the picture. If you look long enough, your eyes get blurry!

Is there a filter I need, or an enhancer...what?

I'm sure there is a quick response/fix for this problem and I'm hoping for a little advice.

Thanks!

Dan

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

The best advice I can give on this topic is to get rid of cable and go with the dish. I had the same problem for years and now that I am a dishnetwork customer, I would never go back to cable even if they offered it free. If that is not a possibility, sometimes it is something as simple as the cable wire itself from the wall to the TV. Start off by checking into that. Good luck.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I've had great success with Radio Shack amplifiers. They are cheap and worth a try. Sometimes it does little, sometimes a lot. Many say that it just amplifies the bad stuff as well, but subjectively it may look a lot better.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i take it you've tried running the cable straight to the tv, bypassing the vcr. If the problem persists (and i gather it will), you may be dealing with a faulty cable/cable connection. consider replacing the cable. also are you splitting the heck out of the signal? if so, perhaps the splitter is a lemon. if the problem still persists, contact your cable company as the problem may well be on their end. out of curiousity, what were you using prior to these problems?

5. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I have also had good luck with cable amps.. I have awful cable reception and thought that adding and amp would amplify a shi**y signal.. To my surprise, I turned the awful signal into a great signal..

6. Dan Ealey

Dan Ealey Extra

Dan
    Thanks for the feedback (no pun intented!)!

Radio Shack, eh? What are they called and how much $?

Easy to work with?

I'll try anything. Thanks!

Dan

7. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

A 10db "Distribution Amplifier" should cost about $20 US.
    Look here:
    http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...4%5F000&Page=2
    It's easy to use, just plug your cable supply to the "In" and a short Cable from the "Out" to your VCR or TV. Then plug in the power supply. Done! You can also buy more expensive ones which let you vary the amount of amplification, but I'd go for the cheap way. Good luck!

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your first step should be to call your CATV company. They will test the signal-strength coming into your home ahead of your equipment to see if there is a problem. You should not have to buy an amplifier if they have a problem outside your house.

They will also usually trace the problem into the house, and check the coax connectors and see if they need replacing.

Note: The number one reason for poor CATV reception (and service calls) is loose coaxial connectors. Check all of yours first. You should even use a small wrench to tighten all the connectors about 1/8 of a turn tighter than you can by hand.

Good Luck.

9. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Bob is on target! Get a good signal first from the cable company and then if you need to split and multiply try Wal-Mart and Radio shack(parstexpress.com is my new find this week-i'm sure all of you already knew about it).

10. Dan Ealey

Dan Ealey Extra

Dan
    Thanks for all of your kind input! I'll check Radio Shack out (thanks for the link, Rick!) and pick up an amp.

Regards,

Dan