How do I clean install XP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I'm having serious problems with my sound card and I want to clean install XP.

I've tried inserting the Win 98 startup disk in the floppy but that doesn't work. How do I do it?

My disk is the Win XP pro upgrade. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks.

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Rob,

Your Win 98 CD should be bootable. Insert it into the CD ROM, then reboot your system. In the BIOS, change the Boot sequence to read from the CD-ROM first. Choose the "Start Computer with CD-ROM support" option. Format your drive(s) again to blow them away.

Then, reboot and start the Win 98 setup. After it is installed, you can "upgrade" to XP with your disc.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Actually, it would be better to just install Win XP without installing Win 98 first. Your Win XP upgrade disc will allow you to clean installWin Xp as long as you have a previous version of windows. It will verify this be asking you to put in the 98 disc during installation.

If you are going to clean install anyway, don't start with Win 98.

C. Ryan

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Step 1: Backup all your important data.

Step 2: Restart your computer, go to your BIOS, and make your CD-ROM the first boot device.

Step 3: Boot to your WINXP CD.

Step 4: During your WINXP setup, delete all your hard drive partitions, and create two new ones. Make your first partition 4GB, and make a second one the size of your remaining HD space.

Step 5: Choose to install WINXP on the 4GB partition, and format the partition using the NTFS file system.

Step 6: Install WINXP.

After WINXP loads for the first time, you can format the second partition to NTFS file system as well. Use the first 4GB partition strictly for WINXP and related Windows files (Windows Swapfile, Internet Explorer, drivers, etc). Use the other, larger partition for everything else, including programs, games, files, etc.

This tried and true method is used often because you never have to backup your files if you ever need to reinstall your operating system; all you need to do is format the smaller 4GB partition and reinstall your OS, keeping all your existing files on the second partition. You will still have to reinstall your programs and games, but this method is still inherently better.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The XP Pro upgrade disk does not allow you to run setup.exe from a DOS prompt. Your best bet is to rename your old version of windows, thus allowing XP to be called 'windows'. After it is installed, just delete the old one.

Glenn

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You can install from DOS, but you need to run the winnt.exe file from the I386 folder on the CD.

7. Rob Varto

Thanks for the advice everyone. Glenn is right, you cannot setup XP from DOS.

I just wanted to confirm that you did not have to use the Win98 startup disk.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Rob, did you try what I suggested? I've not attempted it myself but this is the advice given out many times over on AnandTech about this very issue. Unless I've misquoted it!

9. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Rob is correct: go into the i386 directory then run WINNT.EXE (at least, this is how it is done with Windows 2000).

If the upgrade disc will allow you to do a CLEAN install, then I recommend that. However, no previous versions of Windows would let you do that (they would usually write over the old version). This is very bad; if this is the case though, then follow the previous instructions.

10. Rob Varto

I haven't tried it yet. Im assuming that I type:

c:i386 {enter}

dir {enter}

winnt.exe {enter}

Is this correct?

After I do this, what does it do for me? What do I do next?

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If what I've read is correct Rob, it should start the WinXP intallation process as if you booted from the CD. I haven't tried it myself.

12. Rob Varto

Great, thanks Rob! I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've just tried it Rob - worked fine. It gave me a prompt about SmartDrive not being engaged, but the actual installation procedure started off OK.