What's new

How do I clean a projector lens? (1 Viewer)

FranklinD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Helmut
I did a search but I'm still unsure of the best way to clean my lcd projector lens. I'm seeing a bit of dust on the clear outside cover, the first larger lens, and the smaller lens that's buried inside. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Out of fear of messing something up, I'm not touching it until I know the proper method. :eek:
Thanks!

FranklinD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Helmut
I've read that alcohol and cloth made for lenses is okay to use. I've also read about people using compressed air. I bought the projector used and there is noticeable dust on the lenses(although the image still looks pretty good to my untrained eye)and I'm pretty sure a cleansing is in order. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, folks!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
When I had my set re-calibrated, the tech used a camera lens cleaner on it and a soft rag. That took the dust off and didn't leave anything behind...

That should work, at least on the outside lens

I found a site that sells cleaner (Formula MC) for $3.99, and you could use lens tissues or a cleaning cloth to go with it...

Optical cleaning supplies

You could pick up something similar at a camera store...

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I strongly advise against opening a lens for any reason. You may not be able to put it back together!

For cleaning the outside surfaces of lenses, lens tissue and lens cleaning fluid is fine. Both are available at camera shops. The fine camel-hair brush and air-blower-squezzer combo also works great.

Number one rule in lenses: don't clean them unless you have to. A little dust is far less trouble than a scratch! and keep those fingers away. Skin oils are murder on both plastic and glass.

FranklinD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Helmut
Thanks for replying. After a more careful inspection, I don't think I really need to clean the actual lenses. The last outside piece of glass/plastic looks as though it needs cleaning though. Also, when the projector is turned on, I can see bits of dust swirling about between the big lens and the last piece of flat glass(I think it's just there to protect the actual lens). If you look up sony HS20, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Oh well, I'll just remove and clean up that piece with lens cleaner and a proper tissue and be done with it I think. Thanks again.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Careful with those compressed air cans. I once used one on my pj on the outside lens and got a dust blob instead. Got rid of that too but a lesson learned the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks