What's new

How do I choose a subwoofer cable? (1 Viewer)

Roger D

Agent
I'm getting close to owning my first subwoofer and need to buy a cable to connect it.

What things should I consider when buying a cable? i.e. does length of cable affect performance?

What is a subwoofer cable? Could I just use a regular coax audio cable that I use for my dvd player?

Any recommendations of cheap to reasonably priced cables? Nothing too expensive.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Subwoofer signals are the easiest of all audio signals to transmit so any decently made RCA cable will work. (I'm using an old Radio Shack Video cable at the moment). I have also used ordinary CATV coax with "F" connectors, and 2 "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors to make a 25' cable.

The only thing to watch for is snug-fitting RCA plugs. Subwoofers seem to like tight plugs. This is one of the few things that Monster brand has going for it: turbine-grip-of-death RCA plugs.

One word of warning:

Sometimes hooking up a self-powered subwoofer causes a ground-loop hum. One of the ways to solve the hum is to buy a special "Subwoofer" cable with little arrows to show the signal flow. This cable is actually a broken RCA cable because the shield-wire is NOT connected at one end. This breaks the ground-loop. This would be the only reason to buy a "Subwoofer" cable.

Hope this helps.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I would try the video cable you have before you spend money.
No Buzzing or drop-outs and it sounds good;you are set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks