How do I check if my SUB output is working.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ruben Zamora, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys. I noticed the other day my Sub wasnt working. Now I hope its the sub. Cuz its a piece of crap Aiwa sub. Allll my other speakers are good except the cheap sub. I PRAY ITS THE SUB and not my Onkyo 575X. To be sure, how can I check that my Onkyo Sub out is working. I tried putting the volt meter to it and I get some readins, but you never with those things [​IMG]. So I want to be absolutly sure its the sub and not my Reciever.
    The fuse in the sub is good.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I am guessing the sub connects with an RCA cable, yes? Try using a different cable. If the sub also has line-level terminals that accept speaker wire, try hooking the sub up to the receiver's A or B channel and see if it works now. You might also possibly consider taking the sub to your local A/V shop, explaining the situation and asking if they can hook it up to one of their receivers and see if it will work. Good luck.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    An easy to check signal output is with a cassette deck. Plug your sub output into a “Line In” jack, pop in a tape and push “Pause/Record.” If you can get a reading on the meter, your sub out is good.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys.
    Wayne, I did the Tape Deck thing you said and I get a signal. So its the Sub.
    Damn, Now i need to get a sub [​IMG]

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Or, you can disconnect all your speakers except for the sub, and if you have your crossover(s) and speaker settings set correctly (small/large), you should be able to hear *something*. If not? It's the sub!
    Now, you get to decide what to get next! [​IMG]