How do I Calibrate different Sources

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Michael Young, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

I use the AVIA disk about once a month to calibrate my TV perfectly for DVD viewing. Its amazing the difference between normal settings and the calibrated settings.

The problem is there's HUGE differences between color/contrast/brightness/tint etc. with varying sources, like if you calibrated 2 different DVD players to your TV, the settings could be drastically different. Speaking along these lines, its hard to calibrate other sources, like HDTV, or Cable, or video gaming.

To try and calibrate my Xbox, I borrow a DVD remote and use the avia disk in there, that helps somewhat, except I think varying games have different contrast/brightness settings.

As for HDTV, I have no clue what todo, I do use SOFT white level for HDTV, but besides that there's 0 test patterns to try to calibrate.

And Cable is real hard, especially since the digital box is crap. Local channels, and digital channels are varied on color levels etc, has HUGE RED PUSH. Also its wierd that COAX looks nicer than Svideo or RCA on my Box, But there's no way to calibrate the box.

So I wonder what is the solution to these problems?? it would be nice if I could get the cable company to have a calibration channel that showed test patterns, same for HDTV, which calibrating HDTV correctly would definatly show huge differences.

Right now 1080iHDTV is beautiful, but I think my DVD's look nicer, only because its properly calibrated. HDTV I think has a very strong white level, which is hard to set dark level correctly, not to mention its very SHARP, and probably needs sharpness dropped drastically, but I can't EYE these settings while watching a football game.

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

There is nothing YOU can do. Without ISF-type equipment you cannot produce the necessary signals to calibrate your other inputs. My advice to you is this:

For HDTV: Find some programming that you are familiar with. Watch a football game or some live-action event in HD. Use your eye and familiarity with colors and just adjust levels until things look right. You know what color grass is supposed to be. You know what color the Lakers Jerseys look like. Just adjust your TV until they look natural.

For Cable: As you said, picture varies by station...and some are terrible. My advice on this one is to pick a few of the channels you watch the most and adjust the picture so that programming on these stations looks the most natural.

This is really all you can do short of getting an ISF calibrator to come out and work on your set.

3. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

Im a Do it yourself kind of guy when it comes to HT.

What is an ISF Calibrator?? How do they calibrate different sources. Are we talking about a thousand dollar piece of equipment???

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

an ISF calibrator is a person, not a thing. Technically, someone who is certified by the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF). They use various pieces of equipment (signal generators and such) as well as their expert skills to adjust things that you simply can't do with Avia. They set colors, geometry, overscan, convergence, greyscale, etc. It is an expensive service but is recommended if you desire the absolute best from your RPTV. Getting a proper calibration is NOT something you can do yourself. If it was, there wouldn't be so many Professional Calibrators out there.

Lion A/V is the official ISF Calibrator of the HTF, but there are certified calibrators all over the place. Check the Display Devices forum for more:
    http://lionav.com/info.html

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I think a lot of games are darker then DVDs. Plus I almost always play them in the daytime, so I just turned the contrast up a bit until I could see things on the screen that you're supposed to see. I didn't mess with the color settings at all. Sure this setting looks washed out at night time, but I don't use it then.

And I noticed in work that PBS in the Philly area used to just show the color bars a few hours a day on their HD channel. I haven't seen it in some time, but it was very nice of them so people could set their HD. We need that back!