What's new

How do I burn music CDs to DVD-R with my Sony DRU-500A? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I understand a 4.7.gig DVD = seven 700MB CD-Rs. I want to burn music to DVD-R to take advantage of the extra space. What do I need to do this?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
do you mean backup mp3s? you wont be able to record audio like you do to a cd, to a dvd. even if you managed to get the music on there, you wouldnt be able to play the dvd through the cd player. i just received this drive today, and burned my first data dvd, 4.2 gb in about 20 mins or so, pretty fast. i will have to try a dvd video later, as soon as i get my capture card running again. good luck.

CJ

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Thanks guys for the input. However, I just not proficent with this stuff. I also recently got a DV camera that I have questions on. But I'm still lost on the CD-DVD question.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like they said. You would need to get basic DVD authoring software, and encode each track as a WAV file. Make a simple menu which is linked to said WAV file (48KHz 16-bit stereo) to play them, and you wouldn't be able to do a "play all" without a more advanced package and some scripting

Bottom line, buying a CD changer would probably be oh so-worth it compared to the hassle you're going to put yourself through

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
That's 825 4-minute songs. I'm not sure if that would exceed a file number limitation or not (or if there even is a limit to the number of files on a DVD
For DVD-Video, everything gets mushed together into VOB files, so that's not an issue. I dunno if you could have one 55-hour track (there's got to be a time index somewhere, dunno what the max is), or if you'd really want one.

You probably want to be able to hit Next/Prev to skip songs. The limit there is 99 chapters per title, and 99 titles per disc. Most low-end authoring programs only allow one title, so you only have 99 tracks.

Also, you probably can't have just audio for regular tracks. A still of the cover is a good idea, but even if it never changes, because of the way MPEG works it still requires some of the bit budget, and the practical minimum would probably cut the total time in half, if not more. But you might be able to get around that by using still menus with background music.

Another alternative would be to author genuine DVD-Audio discs. From what I can tell, you can still have stereo 16-bit 48Khz audio. With MLP lossless compression (about 2:1), you could then have like 14 CDs worth of CD-quality audio on one disc.

//Ken

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Even though you guys are talking over my head, I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll have to read up on this more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks