how do I burn a Cd so there are no gaps between tracks, please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Jun 5, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

I know this is a naive question, but I can't figure how to do it. I've downloaded a (legal) mp3 of a long piece of music and it's in sections. When I burn a CD of the tracks, there's an annoying 2-3 sec gap between tracks. Please is there any way of getting rid of these gaps so the whole thing sounds as one long piece?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I use adaptec easy cd creator and there is a menu option to merge multiple tracks so they will play as a single uninterrupted piece by the cd player. There is also a variable to set the amount of seconds between individual tracks.

3. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

You're probably burning the disc with Track At Once. Use the Disc At Once method to remove the 2 second gaps.

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If you're in Nero, as well as ensuring you choose to burn Disc-At-Once (which you need to do irrespective of which software you use), the method of reducing the gap width is to highlight all tracks apart from the first one (you need the 2 second gap before the start of the first track for Redbook compatibility, if memory serves) and then right click for properties. Thats where the gap length hides, so set it to 0 seconds. If its a badly made MP3 you might need to edit the waveforms to top and tail them as well.

5. andrew markworthy

Thanks for the advice, guys - I think I'll have to try out Nero.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Disc-At-Once is also used by other CD-R packages like Easy CD and WinOnCD.

Nero - despite the slightly ham-fisted user interface - is still the best burner around.

7. andrew markworthy

I've now downloaded the trial version of Nero - pretty good! The joins between tracks are (slightly) audible, and no doubt if I wanted to I could manipulate the sound to make them less so, but what I've already got is just fine. Thanks guys!

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The CD player itself might be a factor. I have a classical music cd for learning and it splits the pieces up into tracks. On my computer's cd player it plays a whole song smoothly with no gaps but my car cd player (Pioneer) has a slight delay. If that's the case connect all the songs into a WAV (Adobe Premiere can do this).

If using Nero you could also try right clicking on each individual song after you dragged it to your playlist. Click porperties and make sure "Pause" is at 0. I think the very first track has to at least be 2 though.

9. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Has the bug in Nero that caused very slight delays between tracks been fixed, then? This thread makes a reference to a site detailing the problem.
    For CDs where I want tracks to flow together without any gap whatsoever (especially live bootlegs), I use Feurio. Just link the tracks, and you're set.

10. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Nero is the best CD burning program. I highly recommend it. Anyway, just highlight all the songs in the list you made and go to properties. Then select 0 seconds for the gap. I do that all the time. I record a lot of my dad's old tapes he made when he was in a band years ago and since it's a live recording, no gaps is important.