How do I allow a dimming for my 18" Neon 6500K CinemaQuest light?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I used to use three small halogen lights that can be bought at Lowes, but now I have just bought the CinemaQuest light:
    Cinema Quest 18" Light I bought
    Now I have the X10 IR Commander to be able to dim and lighten the Halogen lights I used to have, but now the X10 stuff will not work in the CinemaQuest neon light. So What do I need to buy for the Cinema light to be turned on remotly? The Dimming would be nice, but I can live with out it if it is going to cost too much. Thanks so much for all your help!

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...don't have any of these units myself, but a 6500K bulb is on my list. Since it's only 15W, my idea is to plug it into one of my amp's Switched outlets and have the unit hidden behind the TV/Entertainment furniture.
    How about this idea?
    Altho you already have your unit, fyi here is a DIY thread:
    Click here

3. Costas

Costas Extra

Grady,

A regular X-10 module won't work, you need a 20A appliance module due to the greater inrush current needed by the fluorescent lamp to turn on. You can't dim these lamps AFAIK, but you can turn it off/on now with the 20A module.

I needed to dim mine slightly, so I just slipped a black nylon panty-hose leg over the light to cut some of the output, seeing as it doesn't get very hot. Black electrical tape is good too, evenly spaced to let some of the light out only if you like.

4. John H

John H Second Unit

Cinema Quest offers a Dimming Kit for their product.
    John

5. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I used to strategically placed sheets of black matte board behind my RPTV to cut down on wall reflection. This effectively dimmed my 6500K bulb.

-Max