What's new

How do I add a second TiVo? (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hello. I have owned a TiVo for about a year now. My Uncle gave me his. It is the same model and capacity.

How do I add this new one in another room? I can't get the TiVo service to work. Do I need another Tivo account? My dad tried ours and said it didn't work. I don't know what he did but usually it is wrong.

Any advice?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Do you mean that he tried using your TiVo subscription on his machine? For the reasons above, that won't work.

M.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
TiVO has a discount plan for adding 2 to 4 additional TiVO boxes to your existing account. The cost is $6.95 per recorder, instead of the usual $12.95. I have two TiVO Series-2s, one of which I bought last spring, the other a Christmas present to myself. (Hey, it only cost me $50 after a rebate.) One is in the living room, the other is in my home office where it connects to an ATI TVWonder card on my desktop PC and displays on my 17" LCD monitor.

My were brand new out-of-the box units, so they had never been set up before. You may be having a problem because your uncle has not cancelled his machine registration with TiVO, even if he's cancelled his service subscription. You'll find information on transferring TiVOs from one owner to another here.

Hope this helps. I love having the two units - especially since they both support home networking and I can transfer shows between them as well all the other Home Networking and TiVO2Go features and I don't have to worry about scheduling conflicts between two shows.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Have you gone to Tivo.com and followed the steps for activating the new TiVO under a new account (assuming your uncle has cancelled his service?) You need to do so and can find the details here.

Joe

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. I got it working.

I didn't know before Sunday that you needed an additional account for Tivo. I just thought you could have mutiple Tivos in the house if you had an account. I guess I was wrong.

My dad ordered another account. He is taking my uncle's player into his room and now the one in our kitchen is all mine.

Sweet!

Thanks guys.

Dave Crane

Auditioning
You have to have TiVo service to make a TiVo work. If Dad didn't have a lifetime subscription and it's a stand-alone TiVo, call TiVo for activation. If it's a satellite receiver, call DirecTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks