How do get a 96khz PCM signal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

My question is, how do I get a 96khz signal fed to my receiver? My DVD player says that if a 96khz source is played, then it will convert it to a 48khz sampling rate, I dont want that. Is that what the new DVD players now, that say 96khz or 192khz LPCM capability mean, that they will pass a 96khz or 192khz digital signal to my receiver? Also, are all CD's 96khz, or only some? Also, what about DVD's, are they all 96khz? My current Sony DVD player has 96khz/24bit DAC's, my receiver has 192khz/24bit DAC's. I need some help, i can't seem to get a 96khz signal. Also, how do I know if I have any 96khz material?

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Someone must be able to help....

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Sorry Kyle, just got here.

What settings do you have selected in the Sony DVD player? Do you have a Downmix selection active? Also, are you connected through 6 channel outputs? You will not see the higher rates unless you are. I'm assuming you're running a digital connection.

4. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I am running it through coax digital out. Does this mean no 96khz sampling rates with all players, my player has a default in it, the converts the 96khz signal to a 48khz one, which is dissapointing, and part of the reason I am looking into a new player. Again, are CD's 96khz?

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor