How do DVDs look on a HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis_W, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I was looking at my DVD collection the other day and started wondering if one day they'll be useless, replaced by the next best thing. I hope not and then remember that HD-DVDs will probably have backwards compatibility, but how would the standard widescreen DVD look on an anamorphic HDTV in terms of quality?

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The difference might be as big as VHS vs DVD for some movies, if you're using a big screen like a 50" HDTV.

It'll depend a lot on the original source content. Many older movies might show only a little improvement. And certainly, TV programs from before the HD era won't benefit much either.

_Man_

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Travis,

A decently mastered anamorphic dvd played on a progressive scan player on a widescreen HD-ready tv looks surprisingly close to true HD.

I'd daresay the majority of widescreen HD-ready tv owners on this forum bought their sets primarily for anamorphic dvd and not for the few HD shows available.

The combination of 480p and anamorphic makes a huge improvement over what you're used to on an analog 4/3 tv.

With few exceptions the difference is at least as striking as the difference between vhs and dvd on a standard tv.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

My DVDs look great on my HDTV.

However, I admit that HD movies (mostly on HBO, though I’ve taken a look at some telecast on ABD-HD) are significantly better than DVDs.

You will see a big improvement with your DVDs on a HD set.

Only you will be able to decide if the DVD quality is close to HD. For me, its very good, but HD is yet another step. Right now, I’d not replace my DVDs with HD-DVD when it appears. But then, I’ve said that kind of thing before.