What's new

How do _you_ choose drivers? (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jon, excellent points. I mistakenly referred to a Qtc of .577 as transient perfect, while that's not actually reached until .5, where it's critically damped. I edited the post. I agree that this is the ideal response, and can sound exceedingly natural. The large box required is made less so by the isobaric configuration.
Sorry 'bout that.
redface.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on July 14, 2001 at 07:25 AM]

Steve Hanna

Agent
...And, in comparing these examples, I tend to magnify the differences for clarity. The .7 will not sound "boomy" or ill-defined, and will probably sound "tighter" than any reflex or PR sub you'd care to name.
Ain't necessarily so. This is a generalization. There are PR designs from Lambda Accoustics, for example, that will sound every bit as tight as the best sealed alignments but have great bass extension too. We all have preferences based on our own tastes, preceptions, and experience. The excessive group delay in badly executed bass/reflex designs is what sounds so bad and has given them a bad rep.
------------------
Steve Hanna
Audioaficionado

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm well aware of the viability of non-sealed designs,and have posted to that effect in the past (including the misalignments which led to the ported sub's reputation). My use of the term "probably" indicates that I'm not declaring that it's "necessarily so" as a rule, or that every sealed sub will sound better than every other design. When considering all reflex and PR subs extant, commercial and otherwise, I believe that statement to be true of the sub being discussed.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Since size is such an issue, why hasn't a LRT driven small sealed sub been suggested? A 2ft^3 gross Shiva only requires mild correction to change F3 = 20Hz, Qb = 0.5, or lower if you want final Qb to ~0.5 after factoring in the increased resistance of VC heating. Actually, you could probably get by with ~1.5ft^3 gross.
Of course it's displacement limited in the bottom octave, but plaster cracking isn't a criteria, and should please WRT music playback.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Greg,
Your suggestion is well thought out; been there, done that with a Shiva based system for my ladyfriend's bedroom with a Marchand Bassis Bass Correction Equalizer doing the honors (it implments the LRT and variable LF EQ). You just have to respect the exursion limitations, unless you put a lot of Shiva's in several boxes!
wink.gif

Regards,
jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks