How do 4:3 Sony Wega HD sets handle HD signals?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Yohan Pamudji, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I've been wondering about this for a while, but never remembered to ask. How do 4:3 Sony Wega HD sets handle HD signals? Do they display full height and chop off the sides, or do they squeeze to display full resolution, or do they scale down to fit the resolution of the screen? In other words, are Sony Wega HD sets truly HD sets (able to display a full-res HD picture) or are they just capable of displaying a picture from an HD signal? And by the way, what is the full resolution on these things? 480p? 1080i?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

They do a raster squeeze, don't chop the sides. You will see a 16/9 image with black bars top and bottom. The picture area will use all 1080 lines for an HD 1080i picture, none are wasted on the black bars. If the HD channel you are watching is broadcasting non-HD material, you will most likely see a 4/3 image in the middle of the 16/9 area so you'll get black bars on top, bottom, and sides. If you switch the output mode on your stb to 480i or 480p, you can usually zoom up the pic with the box to fill the screen when watching upconverted stuff.

3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

So to confirm: these 4:3 HD sets can display 1080i at full resolution, correct? No scaling down while doing the raster squeeze or anything fishy like that? In that case there's no drawback to getting a 4:3 HD set aside from the smaller picture compared to a 16:9 set (typically).

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Yes, it will display 1080i at full resolution, nothing fishy going on.

Note that whenever the set is fed a 1080i signal it will lock into 16/9 mode.

When a station is broadcasting a non-hd picture on it's HD channel, the picture is almost always 4/3 with black bars on the side, in a 16/9 frame. Since your set will lock into 16/9 mode when fed a 1080i signal you will get a 4/3 picture with black bars at top and bottom and also on either side. So any time the HD station is broadcasting non-HD material you will have a small 4/3 picture in the middle of your screen. With a widescreen set, you would only have black bars on the sides, not at top and bottom.

Some HD receivers can be configured to downconvert HD scanrates to something that does not force the set into 16/9 mode--480p or 480i, and then zoom the picture so 4/3 stuff on an HD channel can fill your screen.