What's new

How do 16x9 enhanced DVDs work on 4x3 sets? (1 Viewer)

see topic. What we all need to know is how these enhanced DVDs work on 4x3 sets that can't do the "anamorphic" squeeze. The only way I can see it working is if the horizontal resolution is cut down. Thank you.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You are correct (I think you mean vertical resolution).

So long as the 480 scan lines are evenly spaced over the 4:3 screen, you cannot have 480 scan lines within a 16:9 shaped space.

You may find a VSIZ or height control at the back of the TV, adjusted with a screwdriver. Then you can leave the DVD player in 16:9 mode. This is the same thing that a 16:9 switch on a 4:3 TV uses to change aspect ratio. A serviceman can install a duplicate control on the front of the TV for you. There is no guarantee that the convergence or geometry won't go bad when you change the aspect ratio, sometimes on sets that officially have a 16:9 switch the convergence is adusted to be a compromise.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

You will have to set the DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox if you can't adjust the TV.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

It's my understanding that every DVD player (per the format specs) has a built-in scaler which converts the 16x9 DVDs to 4x3, if needed.

Your 'TV type' is specified in your DVD player menus, default is 4:3 (this setting would indicate 'scale to 4:3').

There is an loss of resolution density in the image area and scanlines will be more apparent.

My advice would be to at least get a 4:3 TV with a 16x9 mode.

Now, if only every DVD player had a scaler to convert 4:3 DVDs to 16x9...

John S

Senior HTF Member
"My advice would be to at least get a 4:3 TV with a 16x9 mode."

Beware on this too, at least some, but I believe many of these 4:3 sets with this mode, only work on 1080i sources, 480p still locks full 4:3....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks