1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How difficult is a HDTV to hook up?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Allred, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Since I have NO experience with HDTVs, I was wondering, is it simple to hook up and get it going? Like my ol' 4x3 TV, just plugged it into the socket, added whatever other cords to it (for DVD player, VCR, etc) and it was ready to go.

Is HDTV any different? Do you get all you need in the box? Do you have to buy anything extra, cords or other equipment?

Finally, on a WS HDTV, what does full screen material look like on it? I seem to remember it's kind of like reverse widescreen on a 4x3 TV, instead of "black bars" on the top and bottom, they're on the left/right sides.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Depends on your source....ie cable or satellite. Cable is just a different box while satellite has different boxes and dishes. With either, if you're really intending on watching HDTV, a widescreen is preferable. Most wide screen TV's have different scaling options to fill the screen while watching 4:3 material....some pretty good, some not so good. At present, most HD signals can be output to the TV via component cables but it's likely that a digital connection (HDMI or DVI) will be required in the future.

Mort

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Very easy, at least with digital cable sources (I don't have/never used satellite). You call the cable company and request the HD-capable box and the HD service. Generally speaking, this will up your cable bill by only a few bucks for the box and I pay about $10 more per month for the HD channels. The cably guy will install it just like your other cable box, but using either the component outputs or DVI output (I don't know whether any cable boxes yet have HDMI outputs). Done.

Upscaled standard def material shot in 4x3 will appear "pillarboxed", thus preserving the proper aspect ratio. In my experience, the upscaled SD stuff - while clearly not HD - looks better than the same material on the "non upscaled" channels (even the digital ones; much much better than the analog channel broadcasts).

4. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Well I won't be getting any HD channels since Comcast here offers only a handful of them right now so I don't see the point of shelling out more moolah for that just yet.

Could you explain that please?

5. Corey-Reid

Corey-Reid Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

I just got a 30 inch Philips HDTV with built in HD tuner. I have direct tv and am not willing to spend 200 bucks more for an HD tuner( or 700 bucks for the HD tuner with tivo) as the amount of HD material is limited.

I set up a 50 dollar OTA antena and I am able to receive all of the HD material on the major networks for nothing.

I will be out of luck when certain sporting events are broadcast on ESPN, or the NFL Sunday Ticket through direct tv, but all of the nationally televised stuff in HD ill get for nothing.

For me, its the way to go until a whole lot more stuff is available in HD.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'd say things are relatively simple if you get HD from cable or satellite. A bit more complicated if you go for OTA (over the air) and wind up needing a roof mounted antenna. But, that project was one of the best and most rewarding I've done.

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Letterbox has black bars top and bottom...pillerbox the bars are on either side.

If you can get an HD signal over the air in your area (I can't) that's really the way to go. In some cases, it's actually a superior picture vs cable/sat as it is broadcast uncompressed.

Mort