What's new

How did you stumble across the Hometheaterforum.com? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Gene, the thread's starter, mentioned seeing an ad for Home Theater Forum in the old DVD Etc. magazine. It should be noted that the ad was designed by one of our esteemed members and the copy was written by one of our grubby administrators.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
7 seven odd years ago there was a post on usenet (my old roaming grounds) wondering whether anyone was having any luck accessing hometheaterforum.com that day.

--
H

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
I was perusing through the web pages on The Digital Bits site and noticed the HTF link on their links page. I liked all the info and have been a member since.

Joe S

Second Unit
I was a member of the HTF on the old Delphi online service. When they left DELPHI, I remember trying out the new website forum. I think you needed special software to access it properly, and I couldn't get it to work. After a lapse of years (?) I tried again and found the current-style website.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
In the year 2060 "The Home Theater Forum" gained consciousness and took over, not only the internet, but started to run governments as well. The actions and speech of people are moderated by a sophisticated satellite system known as "R.O.N." Society is no longer governed by laws. "Forum Rules", are now what people follow. In the year 2075 a man named Conner John started a resistance to bring down "The Home Theater Forum" once and for all. Conner employed the services of a Doctor Brown Emmett, who turned a 1998 DIVX player into a time machine. (Only a machine this evil had the ability to bend time and space) As Conners right hand man I was chosen to travel back in time, infiltrate the "HTF" as it is know in the future.

As to not arouse suspicion I was to have the cover story, of being a John Woo, Jackie Chan, LA Laker, Cincinnati Bengal fan, so that I could blend in to the crowd and not call attention to myself.

After infiltration, I was to get close to Ron and "take him out". This may seem drastic, but was the only way to ensure a future where the nightly news does not last 2 1/2 hours because it is the "Directors Cut". Where commercials had commentary tracks brought to you by "The Criterion Collection". Where it is illegal to modify you car, because it is no longer "OAR" if you add ground effects to it.

But then I decided that Ron was a cool guy. (he even shaves his head like me) So I decided to spare his life and start a new life for myself. I will be dead by 2060 so I don't care if Ron and his evil minions take over the planet.

Actually I bought my first player in march 1998. I did a search looking for DVD release dates and here I am. Been lurking a long time before I joined, but it is still the best place for information, and reviews.

tyler payne

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
It's been so long, but I think it was through either DVDFile or wanting to learn about DVDs in general, but I came here back in October of 2001 and I've been here ever since. I almost quit the boards in my first few months, due to some ill-chosen words on my part in a thread called "What sucks?". I shaped up, though, and I've been posting here ever since. This is the board that I've continually posted to the longest.

By comparison:

I was frequently posting on Toon Zone from 1999 (back in the Warner Brothers Club days) to 2003, and then I started to fade away as the website changed to include all of animation.

I was on the 80sxchange for 3 years (from 2001 to 2004), but left due to political differences and emotional issues.

I was on the Fast Rewind forums for 4 years (2002-2006), but I made too many enemies and pissed too many people off, so I left the forums (although I still write reviews for the site).

I was on RightNation from 2003 to 2007, once again leaving due to political differences, and also because it was wreaking havoc with my personal life.

I've also drifted through various Disney boards and had a brief run over at the Progressive Boink forums, but almost invariably, my unique way of doing things and writing things got on people's nerves.

I've been on here since 2001 and I must say that you've made me feel welcome throughout the years. I guess that's because politics and religion (two of my hot-button issues) are banned from discussion and also because the people on here tend to be older than those on the other forums.

I'm glad to be a part of this site...I just hope I don't say anything that will fuck it all up.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

That's me.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I have no idea since it was so long ago. Maybe a link from another website?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Interesting topic. I first heard about this hometheater forum way back in the early/mid 90's when I would actively read and post on alt.video.laserdisc, which I started reading prior to the WWW coming onto the scene. Ahh, those were the days.

Back then there were several posters that seemed to really know their Sh*t and I learned that they became the definitive sources for trusted reviews of the latest LDs. Among them were Robert "Obi" George and Ron Epstein. I recall at the end of their posts they would listed something about a friendly HTforum place on Delphi. I tried one time to sign up for Delphi, had troubles and gave up but I still continued reading alt.video.laserdisc. I think I stumbled across the current incarnation of this forum back in mid/late 98.

Jeff

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I think the Digital Bits initially brought me here when I was looking for news about the Indiana Jones DVD release. I lurked for a long time and finally decided to take the plunge in Jan 2004.

Where has the time gone?!?!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It was the digital bits back in late 1998 and my first dvd website to hit was DVD Resource which was founded by our very own Steve Tannehil. I think both of those sites mentioned the HTF. From there....I joined back in January 1999.

It's been AWESOME. I've learned WAAAAY more than anything I've contributed.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
alt.video.laserdisc used to be the bomb. You could find out EVERYTHING there. I modified my CLD-97 from some of the instructions people posted there.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Another member here( a good friend and fellow Laser Disc/Film junkie) turned me on to it. I lurked for a while then joined. I've since went to a few gatherings and met a few for revival films and such. Met a few great cats on this forum.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I very much enjoyed reading all the comments here, particularly
from those of you who have been with us since the Delphi and
Compuserve days. We also give a lot of credit to Steve Tannehill
and Bill Hunt for popularizing our forum.

I am sharing this thread with Parker and the rest of the staff who I
am certain will have big smiles on their faces as they read through
these posts.

Listen, guys, we really appreciate the fact that you are still here
with us. There are quite a few Home Theater sites out there, but
I think that we stand as the most popular one due to the fact that
we promote a personable atmosphere of conversation.

The Moderating team, Parker and I hope that we can continue to
provide you with a Home Theater website that you would be proud
to call home.

....and may all of you shave your heads like Tyler Payne and I :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Went to yahoo and searched Home Theater... I remember going to sears and buying a 100 dollar set of surround sound speakers.... As well as a Technics 5.1 reciever.... :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm , i really dont remember.

i'm sure it was from a post on one of those .alt. things.
maybe steve's old site.
i know i joined well before dec 1999, but i think i lost or forgot my joining user name or didnt like the one i joined with so i joined again with the current user name.

i sort of stole the idea from another mamber who was using ChrisA and thought thats a good idea, first name and capital letter of last name.

i still remember when Steve T. was making a huge announcement of a new way to rent dvds.

and he anounced a web site called Netflix.
that was the best thing as far as i was concerned.
rent dvds through the mail, Wow.

i would love to hear the story behind that, how it came about to be partnered
or announced through steve's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks