What's new

How did you stumble across the Hometheaterforum.com? (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I did a search for generic home theater information and was surfing a number of HT sites back in Oct 2000. One of the links I clicked on was to the HTF picture Gallery...it was a real eye opener looking at how much effort people were putting into their Home Theaters. I was in the beginning process of putting together my own HT so the information I found in the forums was top shelf. It was also, for the first time for me, nice to see real, regular people opinion's and thoughts regarding hardware and the like instead of reading the same audio journalists opinion's from the magazines.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think I found it from a link someone posted in the forums at dvdreview.com I don't remember exactly so that could all be made up. :D

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's hard to remember. I *think* I was researching HDTV back in '03 prior to a purchase and came across the site. Perhaps through The Digital Bits. I just can't recall.

However, I do find that I spend 99% of my time at the HTF in After Hours.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Chris

Senior HTF Member
This began as a group on Delphi.

I was a Delphi room administrator for a different forum (a private development forum). We received all the notices of other groups as they came about, and Delphi had this newsletter "Hot on Delphi".

The "Hometheater Roundtable" was in my list, and since I was using WinD, an offline reader, it was easy to add to my reading. I started participating more and more.

When Delphi got a webportal, HTF was one of the first to get a semi-threaded outlet. Then it jumped through a bunch of different webhosts, looks and designs, and I kept following along.

That's it ;)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It's been a number of years so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but I believe I found out about HTF at DVDTalk, which I joined a couple months earlier than I did here.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I guess just searching the net back in 97 for anything related to Home Theater, I use to frequent the "Digital Theater" Forum (now gone) and the HTF but found members few as there were back then to be much more friendly here!

Wes

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
One reason I was looking for an outlet like HTF is because I was looking for another source of info after the founder of a previous DVD site that I frequented pissed me off. One day he basically posted an appeal to readers encouraging all of them to contribute money to a special fund he was setting up. He didn't come hat in hand looking to to upgrade a server or anything related to the website mind you. Instead he wanted the readers to fund the purchase of a top shelf projector and sound system so he could give more accurate reviews of the audio and video quality of new DVD releases. The hell with that. After that it was time to find a new outlet for my DVD info.

Craig

Second Unit
I had spent a couple of months at E-Town reading thru threads and asking the occassional question. One day someone asked "where is everyone?" and someone else responded "they're all over at Home Theater Forum", which led me here. I didn't join right away, lurked for a while, but signed up after I got serious about buying a widescreen HDTV (ended up with a Toshiba TW56X81 in late '99).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I had been reading the digital bits for a few months, and when discussion of the first Looney Tunes Gold Collection came up, there was a link to a thread here and I read it and decided to join, and that was 4 years ago this month.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was on the 5th day of a vicious 8 day drunk, you should always allow an extra day, as opposed to the traditional 7 day drunk, just in case you black out and need to miss a day from work.

I was heading home from a cocktail bar, tripped on the curb and cracked my head open. When I awoke, 3 days had passed and I found myself here. I actually don't really like the site that much, the drinks are too pricy. I just don't know how to get home.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I honestly don't remember how I found this forum.

My best guess is that it was related to the DIVX Circuit City fiasco. Just doing searches for DIVX info to inform friends and coworkers about what a pathetic format it was, I think that is how I stumbled upon HTF almost eight years ago.

In fact, I've never spent a penny at Circuit City since then. When a company tries to pull off such a blatant rip-off of their customers, I'm gone, forever.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I read Robert Harris's articles in The Digital Bits and there is always a link to continue the discussion in the Home Theater Forum. A couple years ago, I followed the link and joined immediately.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
I lived in the middle of nowhere and my VCR had died. It had been pretty expensive, and wasn't that old (but of course out of warranty), so I was going to have it fixed. The only local shop could not fix it, even after contacting the manufacturer. So I went to the only "home" store in town to replace it. I didn't like anything they had, but they had a demo of this cool new thing called a "DVD player". One other store in town sold the "DVDs", but had a selection of about 8 titles, if I recall. My then-husband refused to let me purchase a DVD player unless I could prove that I could get the software for it (there was no such thing as a rental at that time--the video rental people looked at me like I'd lost my mind). Since any real shopping could only occur 120 miles away I went online and did a search for "buy DVDs online." Somehow the HTF came up in my search and even though I only lurked for the first few months, I've been here ever since. (That DVD player far outshone its VCR predecesor and still works today--it's only refused to play one disk in the 8 years I've owned it.)

Marianne

Supporting Actor

Sounds a bit like "Identity". You find your way into HTF and can't leave. Then you discover that you're just a figment of Parker's imagination!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks