1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

How did you pusuade your "other half" to get a projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Al L, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Al L

Al L Agent

Hi,

I recently bought a nice big house. It has a nice big "grand" room and a nice big wall. I managed to convince my wife to get a plasma TV for that one wall. See, she's a minimalist and therefore thinks that the existing entertainment center and 55” back projection TV makes the room look cluttered. Well, I couldn’t agree more so after getting her buy in we went to look at some plasma sets. Along the way we encountered the nice (and cheap) Infocus 4805. Immediately I started drooling, especially when seeing it projected onto a 100” screen. Well as quick as I pulled my Visa card from my wallet my wife shot down all ideas of purchasing. See, she thinks that a 10 foot screen dangling from the ceiling in her pristine, uncluttered room will look stupid. So far I have been thwarted at every turn in convincing her.

I’m interested to know how you convinced your other halves?

[​IMG]

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Use a removable screen that you hang from the wall and put away when not in use. Actually, screens mounted on the wall look pretty cool and don't bother wives. What bothers wives are projectors hanging from poles on the ceiling (especially high ceilings with really long poles) or sitting on tables with wires running along the floor.

If you have a basement, the best solution is a plasma in the great room and a projector in the basement.

3. Al L

Al L Agent

[​IMG] I'm quite lucky actually, about 15 foot back from main wall is a lowered ceiling with the bedroom above. This means I can easily conceal the projector wires by running them up through the ceiling and under the bedroom floor. Also the ceiling is pretty much level with where the top of the screen will go so it's at the perfect height and therefore I don't need a pole.

Are there any screens that have a wooden casing rather than the white/grey metal casing that most of them seem to have?

Thanks!

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A pull down screen would work as well ... nicely out of the way when not in use.

Probably better to just buy it and beg for forgiveness later.

Tis better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Regards

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Ha ha, i'm with Michael on this, just do it dude.

But then again i'm single. [​IMG]

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Simple, I never got married.
    No more problem!
    Vb

7. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

stick it out, dont be afraid to get cut off, thats what i always say

8. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    In the words of Ralph Kramden, tell her You're the "King of the castle, and she is just a lowly peasant".

9. Paul::F

Paul::F Extra

Well if you can keep the projector and wires fairly well hidden, whats the problem? If you just hard mounted a 16:9 screen on the wall with a classy border it would be the ultimate in "uncluttered". Plus way cheaper than plasma for the 4805, right? Tell her about all the uncluttered looking IKEA stuff she could get with the change.

10. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

Tell her that with the minimalist pull down screen that hides away you'll be able to buy her a pair of diamond earrings with the savings from going from plasma to a PJ!

Like Ron White says on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.......
    "Diamonds, that'll shut her up!...for a while!"

11. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Send her on a spa weekend, do everything in the weekend, and surprise her when she gets back. [​IMG]

But bribery shouldn't be for the woman you've married. Most women just don't know and are terribly influenced by advertisements - for example, she wouldn't know how good an FP image would look, all she can think about are the couple in the Philips ad who are treating the plasma like a wall painting, with the woman critically examining each spot on the wall and getting it rehung again and again. The wires, of course, route themselves.

Tell her that this route is better, otherwise go along with her to her next trip to the mall and critically evaluate her choice of makeup and clothes. [​IMG]

12. Al L

Al L Agent

haha.

Thanks to the (somewhat insane) advice on this thread I just told my wife I ordered it. She told me I am sleeping on the sofa tonight and she has taken all my Xmas presents back. Oh well, I might have a bigger screen but now I don't have Return of the King SE to watch on it... bummer.

Ok, so BIG dilema time and I want to order it today.

Infocus SP4805

OR

Sanyo PLV-Z2

My throw range is 15-16 foot, I want a screen size of at least 90 inches, I (I mean we) will be sitting approx 13 foot from the screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

13. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I took my wife on the Home Theater Cruise. [​IMG] and let her see what the big deal was for herself.

I would also have to ask, what color are your walls? Because if you can hide the projector and wires really well, do that first, project it on a (hopefully) white wall then as a later upgrade introduce a pull-down, electric or removable screen to make an already great picture look better.

What I have learned, is that it is easier and less objections to a bunch of small baby steps then a big giant leap of major change.

Good-Luck [​IMG]

14. Al L

Al L Agent

Ok, so I stumped for the Sanyo. I felt that the size and look of the unit, plus the higher resolution, will fit better where I plan to install it (shelf mounted).

Thanks everyone for kicking me up the a$$ to just go for it!

Thanks!