What's new

How did you hear about Home Theater Forum? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I found this site while researching my receiver purchase. I was debating between the 898 and 989 and I was looking everywhere for information.

I joined and posted the same day that I found the site. I posted like crazy for a while and participated in every receiver related thread that I saw.

Thanks to all those that helped with the decision making process.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Same reason as Rain and Patrick...saw a HTF chat transcript and got to wondering about what it was all about (the HTF, not the transcript).
After a brief period of lurking, I signed up, much to the disdain of several members. :)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
My good friend with the stacked Runcos told me about this site, right after I got my first desktop. Since then he has left for other forums, but I remain strong here. It is hard to believe it was over 4 years ago!

Back then, laserdisc was going strong... DIVX was the common enemy..and this was just one giant forum with no subdivisions whatsoever.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I ran a search on Yahoo for "home theater". The HTF was atop the list, but the word "forum" kind of scared me off at first. I had been to enough newsgroups to know that that wasn't what I was interested in. So, I chose other sites, even some with "forum" in the name before I came back to HTF simply because I couldn't seem to nail down what I was looking for. To say I saw the light is an understatement. I joined within the hour.

I don't start alot of posts, but I think the first thread I've ever started was a Poll for favorite movies.

Bruce

JessV

Agent
Dave Poland mentioned HTF in his column and I followed the link. I think I signed up that day, but I'm not sure.

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Followed a link from the DigitalBits. Saw the wealth of info and proceeded to lurk for the next two years.

Didn't join right away because I really didn't have anything to say.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I found it while searching MSN or something looking for information on my DVD player, I came across the link and lurked for a couple months or so, then decided to join.
Damn glad I did!
and now I'm fairly well known at Home Theater Forum.
Hmmmm... your name looks familiar but I may have you confused with someone else. ;) Just Kiddin', Damn glad to know you Jack!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I first came across this website sometime around early 99'. I knew of other sites where people could post questions with other home theater enthusiasts, but I didn't like the whole idea of signing up to do so. Nonetheless I lurked about for over a year and then finally decided that I was visiting the site enough that I should go ahead and join. I'm glad I did. Thanks to all of you that have made me feel welcome.

Jon

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My first online HT experience was @ etown.com which I found by searching yahoo for Divx related sites. After I chatted for a while over there I decided to look for a site that was a bit more appealing so I checked out the competition and ended up here.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I was bored one night surfing the web. I had just gotten into DVD's. That night I hit the jackpot and found not only this forum but information sites (Digital Bits, DVD File) and etailers. I had never belonged to a forum or newsgroup before and thought I would give this one a try.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I discovered HTF through a link from thedigitalbits.com and I joined at a later time.

Don't remember my first post, but it was probably some stupid question about a DVD release, like: "Does anybody know when the new Die Hard DVD will be out?"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got tired of newsgroups, and needed some info on Ht stuff, probably a receiver purchase, and I either was referred to the HTF by someone over DVDTalk, or I did a search and found the HTF that way. I didn't realize what a post slut I'd become...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Another Bitsy chat transcript convert. I think I joined right away but didn't post much for several months. My first was probably something about Kubrick or asking where Sunset Blvd. is on DVD (still waiting).

I wish I'd found out about it sooner, I'd probably have better equipment, particularly speakers.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Was pointed this way by Steve Tannehill's old site DVD Resource. Joined up a week ot so later. I still miss Steve's site.:frowning:

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I too quite quickly found dvdresource.com and thedigitalbits.com and enjoyed those sites a lot. DVDResource in partivular mentioned HTF a lot, and TBD of course had a forum link that only linked to HTF... I lurked mostly in the beginning, didn't feel I had much to contribute with... Luckily, they don't hold that against you :D I think my first post was a reply in a thread asking for a particular DVD that it was available in Europe or something like that...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It was a rainy night.....
I think it was my friend Wes Ray who kept bugging me and saying, "Hey there's this cool site where you can talk about movie and stuff."
I was like, "I don't care, I want to sleep."
He was like, "Come on and join man!!! They're having this thing with the Friday the 13th petition."
I was like, "Leave me alone, work has worn me out."
He was like, "They're also talking about Paramount and this Martin Blythe guy."
I was like, "The dudes that do The Godfather?".
He was like, "Yeah, The Godfather."
I was like, "Quit bugging me, I'll join already."
Well, he's gone, and I'm still here. Don't know how that happened. Anyways, thanks for all the great movie recommendations over the past year. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go bang my head against the wall. That'll cure my stress!!!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, first off:
I must say I found everyone to be very nice and welcoming. A special kudos to Rain and Scott Weinberg.
My goal is to be real nice to anyone with less than 25 posts. After that, I'm a rat bastard. ;) (Thanks, Brian!)
As far as how I got here, I was searching for a movie-related message board/community that wasn't populated mainly by fanboy imbeciles.
As silly as this may sound, I was looking for a board that was moderated closely. I'm all for passionate arguments and all, but mutual respect (yes, even online) is a huge deal to me. I was thrilled to see that Ron, Parker, and their gaggle of flying monkney admins ran a tight and polite ship.
I'm glad that my initial posts are long gone, because I suspect they'd be along the lines of "When's Star Wars coming out on DVD?" and "WOW! Legend was just announced!"
Short version: I saw the banner at The Digital Bits.

Scott_G

Second Unit
Searching for useful information for my new HT room.
I spent a lot of time on speaker reviews at
http://www.audioreview.com, but got my Toshiba 56x81 based on the info in HTF.
If I had spent more time at HTF I would have built a Sub or gone with SVS.
Most of my posts have been in the HDTV, Projection TV area until the last few months. Polls are addictive.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I came here for the Paramount request thread, and have been around happily ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks