How did you hear about Home Theater Forum?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Now, this is a poll that should be of interest. How did you hear about Home Theater Forum, and how soon thereafter did you join? Finally, if you can remember your first post, what was it?

* I discovered HTF when doing a search for sites about HDTV.

* I joined the very day after discovering the Forum.

* My first post was a thread originator titled, "Does anyone know if _Zardoz_ is coming to DVD?" Of the seven or so responses I got (what a poor newbie I was), most of them made jokes about the Boorman film. Somehow, I overcame that and persevered--though I seemed to toil anonymously for the longest while. Undeterred, I kept up, and now I'm fairly well known at Home Theater Forum.

You?

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I was incredibly bored one night, so I was just randomly surfing around all my familiar sites, when I stumbled across a link to the HTF as some DVD site. I think I tried to sign up right then and there, but my name got rejected.

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I was looking to replace my old subwoofer and I just happened to stumble across HTF. What a glorious day that was!!

4. Rain

Rain Producer

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I followed Robert "Obi" George here from the old CeVideo forum on Compuserve. IOW, it's all HIS fault. [​IMG]
    First post was sometime in the spring of 1998, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was about. I have some archived email indicating that, in May 1998, I was posting about the DTS hardware upgrade for Lexicon's DC-1. Yes, folks, it was only four short years ago that (a) there were no DTS DVDs at all, and (b) DTS playback hardware was both rare and very expensive.
    M.

6. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

Well...
    I went searching for answers when my Jaws DTS disc was defective (although it was in fact my amp) and I ended up here.
    I joined that very day, but I don't think I got the all clear until the next day.
    My first post was entitled "DTS is Crap" [​IMG]
    which Rob Gillespie then changed to "DTS is Crap (for me)" because it was quite misleading and lots of folks came into the thread ready to crucify me [​IMG]
    Yup, there you have it. Not the greatest way to announce myself, but thats it [​IMG]

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    www.thedigitalbits.com
    I was looking for a review for North By Northwest and I found something about a chat with Johnathan Gaines on the HTF.
    I joined, went to the chat, here I am. (With 1702 posts!)

8. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I found the URL on a bathroom wall. Something about calling Ron Epstein for a good home theater experience. [​IMG]
    Actually I too found the site thru a link from the Digital Bits

9. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

10. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

You can all blame SteveGon for my inclusion into the HTF. He kept saying I should check it out. One night I did, and kept coming back for a week or so until I finally joined up. I was leery at first. I was afraid of being ridiculed for my lack of knowledge in many of the "classics." I thought this would be like a couple other places where "outsiders" just weren't welcome. I must say I found everyone to be very nice and welcoming. A special kudos to Rain and Scott Weinberg. Both made some early welcoming comments that put me at ease. I can't tell you exactly what they were, but they still stand out none the less. I believe my first post was in a tourney (Go ahead, make fun) and my first thread was something about Hell Comes to Frogtown. It was pure nonsense (go figure), but it was a feeling out process. I have to say this is a great site, not just for home theater related discussion, but for friendly people too.

11. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I was looking to purchase a new Sony (Wega) television and needed some feedback and reviews. A Google search eventually lead me here where I had to register to post some questions. The feedback I received from the membership was fast, knowledgeable, and most importantly, patient and polite. I knew then I was somewhere very special and simply stayed.
    Of course, I eventually ran into Steve Christou. You can't have everything, can you? [​IMG]

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I found HTF after reading Ron's first-anywhere review of Star Wars Episode 1: TPM. I even remember my first few posts: a little disagreement with none other than Mr. Briggs about the merits of TPM. [​IMG]

13. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I made it over here on a link at DigitalBits.....it was a link on the metal DVD marquee stands by ShowOff Displays. Bought a display, signed up and then basically lurked for close to a year.

14. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

You can blame my being here on the Digital Bits. [​IMG]

15. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I was in the process of buying new equipment for a bedroom HT setup. In doing research on the net, I came across the Home Theater Spot (which is excellent) and a poster made a reference to the Home Theater Forum. I've been a regular ever since.

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I was on the DVD Angle website and clicked the "forum" link, which brought me to the HTF. That was a few years ago and I was a guest here for a LONG time before I became a member.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brian: I think I remember that exchange! It's a miracle I didn't get booted off the Forum, if I recall correctly. As I remember, I was involved in what I thought was an open-ended discussion about the movie--and I do remember going back and forth with one or more members in disagreement about the thing. And so it may have been you! Well, Brian, I hope I have acquitted myself better in your eyes since then! Thanks for staying with HTF in spite of me. [​IMG] JB

18. Rain

Rain Producer

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I was at Digital Bits one fateful April evening two years ago, when I first noticed it, my cat was lying on his back with his legs in the air and he was ...vibrating??
    So anyway I also noticed the HTF at Bits and had a good peek at it, I'd never joined a forum before, and I thought hey why not, whats the worst that can happen?
    Going down memory lane now, my first thread was I think about the David Lynch film 'Dune', I also remember starting threads on 'Alfred Hitchcock' and 'Citizen Kane vs Lawrence of Arabia', both of which had many replies, I still have some of those early threads somewhere on my drive, and I remember getting bashed a bit for preferring Lawrence over Kane.
    Have to mention Jeff Amaris for giving me some notoriety last year in a long running thread he started (and prob regretted), and darling Marianne who I really enjoyed sparring with in many posts in the early days.[​IMG]
    I was never really a forum or chatroom sort of person, so its a miracle I'm still around, but I still enjoy being part of the HTF a lot. [​IMG]

20. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I checked The Digital Bits for a while then one day I clicked on the DVD Discussion link and it sent me to the HTF, I signed up straight away like I do on most forums posted one question that I needed to know, got that info and didn't come back for a couple of months [​IMG] .
    Then one day I just decided to look through my bookmarks and I spent a lot of time going through each sub-section, and i've visited nearly everyday since. I spend most of my time on the HTF in the Movies section. But as of the past week or so i've been doing much more reading than I have posting.
    Steve,
    I remember one of my first posts was a similar type thread "The Thin Red Line vs. Saving Private Ryan" and it got a fair number of replies as well, now that I know how things run around here there is no way I would be posting something like that again. [​IMG]