What's new

How Did You Acoustically Treat Your Dedicated HT? (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Wow, look what's transpired since I last checked this thread!
Having done enough research on some of the "major" HT forums, it's obvious this argument has come up before. Perhaps the important thing to recognize here is the amount of valuable information that has come out of this. Everyone is free to pick the "school of thought" they plan to follow but it's great to hear all sides of the story. I'm glad that's happening here and thanks to all who continue to contribute to the thread.
In fact, mounting drywall sheets horizontally or vertically will significantly impact the diphramic motion of the walls
Dennis, is there a "correct" way to hang the drywall, or is the answer not so "cut-and-dried" - perhaps the answer varies depending on the room?

Scott:

The correct way to install drywall is screwed and glued, and, in fact, all your joist members in an HT should also be glued. In the longer term this will prevent behind the wall rattles that can develop over time.

The reference to horizontal vs vertical applies to the softwall method. The resonance frequencies of any given piece of drywall is different in this situation. In the horizontal method, you have a segment of drywall just over 14" wide by 48" high. With the vertical method your segment is 14" wide by 96" tall. If you install soffits, that 96" will become something less. It's like tuning a guitar...except your 'strings' (the drywall) are less uniform in construction and rather than stretching the strings, you have to move the frets (the studs)...oh, and be prepared to make those changes with changes in temperature, humidity and season.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dennis. Speaking of "screw and glue", what kind of glue is recommended to glue together joist members as well as affix one layer of drywall to another? Will standard wood glue suffice or is there something that is preferred in an HT application?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
in my ht wassl i used a fire bat that also works well for sound proofing. the whole room in a room thing is ok but when you have a low celing and beams and vents running in the celing it is just not posible. i just put extra batting and screwed the drwall to the celing. i dont get any sound from other parts of the house but you can hear the movie in the upstairs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks