How Did They Get the Joker's (Nicholson) Mouth Like That in "Batman?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike-M, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Jul 21, 2002
    I still don't know and if anyone can tell me, I'd be interested. Does anyone know if Jack thought it was painful or hard to have is face fixed like that?

Also, at the end of the movie, after the SPOILER OBVIOUSLY.............

Joker dies, we hear endless (almost looped) laughing. Is this just a tape recorder or something? Gordon found a green pouch and was looking at it as if that was the cause of the noise...anyone know? Thanks.
  2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Oct 12, 1999
    The green pouch was the cause of the noise - I don't know what it's called, but it is basically a simple recorder inside which plays that laugh.

As for the face, I thought it was all make-up? (as well as a natural rubber face of course - that wide smile has been sort of a Hack Nicholson trademark)

Edit: Hack Nicholson above was a typo. Too funny to edit though.
  3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Dec 28, 1998
    Ill always DESPISE the way the end of this movie was filmed.
    When the Joker fell off the ladder, the smile was supposed leave his face once he realized he was gonna fall.

Think of the end of Die Hard (see what a talented director can accomplish) when Hanns fell as of how this scene could and should have been done.

Instead we got a animated Joker - pathetic.

When I was in art school I hear a few people say they had read that you could see the Joker blink as he was laying on the ground - in case they wanted to bring him back. I remember going frame by frame years ago and never saw a blink.

Anyway, its makeup built around his cheekbones and the pouch has a laughing machine/recorder in it.