How did Predator escape with an R rating????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christina_V, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

This was on AMC tonight,supringly left all the violence completly uncensored,yet edited the swearing! hmmm...
    Anyway..ever since i first saw this unedited from TV a few years ago....i was always suprised at how gory/volent it was,yet still R rated,when other films durring the period got butchured beyond recognition in order to get a R. btw.....the version saw on Fox when i was a kid,had tons of alternate kill scenes without a hint at the real violence in the original cut,so i was suprised to see a totaly different(& powerful/better) movie unedited the first time.
    Though it also strikes me as extremly unfair & proves the MPAA area bunch of inconsiderdate jerks.
    For example Evil Dead 2 from the same year got an X rating..yet was nowhere nearly as gory/violent as Predator,(+ mostly offscreen) to top it all off....the effects weren't realisitic + the movies a comedy,so rather than being gruesome and gross..it's over the top and funny which it's intended to be. It could easily be R rated without any cuts at all!!!
    This is why i think the NC-17 rating is useless......R movies are meant for adults,yet they are not old enough to veiw certain things?...and of course now R rated movies are getting tamer and tamer and appropriate for kids,strange huh??
    If they worried about kids seeing the films....well forgot that & let the PARENTS try and tell them whats appropriate & whats not & don't ruin it for the rest of us!!
    Get rid of the NC-17 rating, R should be high enough and once a film gets that rating......no more worries about censorship ect,unless the studio stupidly decides to get a PG-13?
    As for the Evil Dead 2 vs Predator comparison.......from what i've learned about just how corrupt the system really is...since Evil Dead 2 is a low budget Indie film & Predator a big budget major studio film...the MPAA cracks down harder & unfairly on the indies much more that the majors!
    ......and hollywood PLEASE GET RID OF THE NC-17!!!!!!!!!! then maybe ratings will be much more fair & rightfully so,if a films R,its' R no qustions asked!!

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

3. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Most parents these days aren't fit to have pets much less offspring. The majority of parents (and I use the word loosely) couldn't raise a middle finger, much less a child.

4. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Funniest thing is.......alot of parents seem to think sex is bad,violence ok!
    I remember wheni was little(11+) & started renting movies oncce we got a VCR....i was able to rent just about anything i wanted,regardless of rating,unless it had sex/nuditiy in it!!! Of course the frowned upon violence sometimes,but not really,sex was worse to them. Yet Rambo ect was fine!
    I rented Miami Blues once....first ten minutes,theres a shot of a topless girl as she's changing.....my Dad saw that and made me return the video right away and yelled at me!!
    I finnaly saw then entire movie last year and guess what? That was the only topless scene in the film + it was'nt sex,just changing!! Big deal!
    Though after they got a divorce...my mom was eaiser to get through to and i was free to rent whatever i wanted...of course she never really knew what was in all the films....though as long as there wasnt nudity,she didn't care!!
    Though at least i was able to think for myself & am very honest & open minded + never looked at sex as being bad ect + also from all the violent films i've seen growing up, i didn't turn out violent as well,no going on shooting rampages ect...i know they're only movies!
    So my Dad's happy with how i turned out + finnally realizing he was wrong ect & thought i may turn out to be a nutcase from liking horror films yet didn't mind me watching action films like True Romance and such!!!!
    ......but i do think they(my parents ect) screwed my sister up who is 19,yet still thinks sex/nudity is just sick & disgusting ect,she can never handle it when on tv + if mentioned in real life,she blocks it out & does'nt wanna hear it + my mom had her skip sex ed class in school ect making things worse.
    So parents do youre dam job and stop screwing you're kids heads up!
    As for now...i'm 21 and like usual free to choose what i want to watch no matter what. I hate + don't want the MPAA or someone else telling me what i can & can't see/hear.
    Every NC-17/Unrated film i've seen i would gladly & rightfully give an R rating(they deserve it) in complete uncut form, from Peter Jackson's classic gore comedy Dead/Alive...to Basic Instinct,Dawn of the Dead,American Pie,Evil Dead 1 & 2,Last House on the Left,Showgirls,Robocop, 9 1/2 Weeks,Natural Born Killers & plenty of others(well all films) that where given an NC-17/X.
    As said before NC-17 is pointless & censorship isn't right,only destroy's films!!

5. andreasingo

andreasingo Stunt Coordinator

I think the U.S is like 10-20 years after us here in Europe when it comes to how we view sex and nudity in films.

If people think sex is bad, then ok, it's their loss. But it is evident that americans (MPAA especially) think sex is worser than violence and death. Nice world we live in huh?

6. derek

derek Second Unit

Thanks AMC for finally giving me an edited version on tape now of Predator. It's a shame the studios aren't giving the consumer enough choices to help them in their selections for family viewing. Why can't I have a seemless branching edited pg-13 cut of 'Predator' on dvd???

7. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Derek, I'm not sure if you were serious or facetious in your post. Can you clarify please?

8. derek

derek Second Unit

Serious. I mean...I'm fully behind studios providing multiple (non-edited and edited) cuts of films on DVD. This 'option' was heavily promoted when DVD was first coming out but alas we've heard barely NOTHING of it since. If I can have an 'edited for television' or 'airline cut' of a film why not put it on DVD and incur a greater market interest for the film? As it is my wife and I purchase no R rated films. And believe me if edited cuts were available studios would have one high paying customer.

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

10. derek

derek Second Unit

The MPAA R rating is a 'hard limit' in our household. Beyond that for PG-13/PG fare fortunately consumers today have good content reviews available such as www.screenit.com .

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Derek, I respectfully disagree that studios should provide edited versions of films. A film is an artistic vision and should not be bastardized by a studio or for airlines or television broadcasts. A film is what it is. It is either made for an adult audience (hence the R rating) or films are made for a general audience. There are plenty of films that are rated PG.

The flip side to that coin would be why not have R rated versions of movies that were intended for a general audience? It is ludicrous to expect that, but I hope you see my point that not everyone can be catered to.

It's bad enough we have to fight to preserve orginal aspect ratios, I don't want to delve into fighting studios for original theatrical versions of movies.

12. derek

derek Second Unit

I was specifically refering to the seemless branching option that was promoted during DVD's introduction as providing various edited cuts on a single dvd. As you've said I've chosen to be a consumer in the non-R rated cinema market. I respect everyone's right to make their choice. However it would be quite nice and financially rewarding for studios to broaden their market share by providing mulitple edits. While airlines/tv broadcasts have been editing films for decades, not once have I personally seen (there may be somewhere) a petition or movement by film purists/home theater junkies to stop it (such as the pro-widescreen DVD cause.) *shrugs* My point is that I feel stuidios can cater to a broader viewing audience with DVD's capabilities.

13. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Well Derek.there are plenty of R rated film that are appropriate for almost all ages,well at least 15 & up. It all depends on the content itself,sometimes a films R rated just for language,otherwise is fine for anyone. + it should be you who decides whats apropriate and whats not,dont' just look at it as evil ect because it's R!!
    So you would'nt bother seeing Schindler's List and learn something among others?
    As for the sex is bad,violence good state of mind alot of people seem to be in.
    I just watched the R rated version of The Doom Generation to see what it's like as i own the uncut version. The R rated is 13mn shorter than the UR and is about 70mn now!!
    Guess what was completly hacked up the most?
    sex & sex references!!
    There was alittle bit left in the film,but heavily cut & shortened...the last sex scene was over in about 2 secs(+ one before that was'nt even shown,so alot of dialogue was missing as well as there wasn't any nudity,just hinted at + some important dialogue between the charecters!!)....then it kicks into the bleak ending...suprisingly left almost intact,with only a couple cuts to violence(+ one line), which is mostly hinted at as you can't see whats happening on screen since it's strobe lite.
    As for the violence in other parts of he film & the movies not that violent anyway,just very dark. It was still cut,but not that heavily(from what i could tell),a few seconds of blood spurting from the clerks severed neck & his head talking & spitting out food or something was cropped(so you could'nt see it) & then cuts aways quickly.
    So 13mn of sex & references had to be cut in order to get a R rating..yet the violence was left almost intact??
    So the movie was heavily truncated in it's now very short running time,that the unnerving feeling you get when it's all over,was almost completely lost.
    Thank god they put a notice on the box + before the film itself letting you know that this isn't the original version of the film(13mn cut) & that the director does not approve of this verrsion.
    So people will realize they're getting gipped and not seeing the real film....they should do that on all movies released in 2 versions,to at least let people know.
    Because Trimark never bothered putting the notice on Dead/Alive R rated version which is so heavily censored,the movies a mess & just ruined 100% & could be rated G!!! Yet people unlucky enough to only rent from Blockbuster or other conservative places,only can see that version & think the movie was really bad,not as good as people made it out to be & not know that the real version of the film is avalible.

14. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

btw..Derek....Predator wasn't edited much on AMC..... Only the language was censored,violence left intact!
    So if you let your'e kids watch it,you'd basically be telling them violence is good,but swearing is bad,thats why thats edited out,but all the gore is left in.
    Of course most people are smart enough to think for themselves,stil some people may get the wrong idea & thats why censorship is wrong as it doesn't make sense. Parents should do the job & try teaching the differences between right & wrong,not them(mpaa ect)!!
    If you want a edited and appropriate for all ages of Predator....tape it off network tv/cable and it will have ALL the swearing + gore hacked out.
    Of course the movies just not the same them and was meant to be a gory action film.......so just leave it at that & you decide wether to let you're kids watch it or not.

15. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor