What's new

How dangerous is it to buy more than you can watch? (1 Viewer)

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
I have a serious but possibly stupid question. If you don't purchase a newly released title, is it realistic to be able to purchase in two or three years from now? What about if it is an extremely popular title?

I remember having to hunt for the OOP LD of Aliens and when I finally found it, it cost a pretty penny. I simply should have bought it when it first came out. That's the sort of mentality with which I've approached DVDs, especially since the price point is much lower than LD.

Anthony Urzi

Stunt Coordinator
I buy movie si like...no point watchign them if i just saw it *rented, went to movies* or it's an upgrade of a previous copy *windtalkers, star trek 4* Sure i WANT to watch them and their 5-10 hours of extra's but i dont have that kind fo ime...this way their in the house, i can watch them when i'm in the mood. What i do do though, soon as i get ti i unwrap it pop it in, go through the menu's see whats there make sure everythign startes, and i chaper forward every minute or os to quickly scan the disck for any obvious oopsies.....

Onyl movie i've had be defective on me that i discovereed after watching was ST:Nemesis.

you can always scam too, buy the new copy of the dvd, and return the old one as defective on the same recipt as the new one

hey buty them when you can, if you wait you might mis sout, look at the puppetmaster dvd box et, it got pulled and is no longer available unless you want to spend $250 on ebay. But truely onyl buy movies you loved or wwant, don't pick up titles, simply cus it's a good deal,

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

you could have just waited a little longer.
i'll be putting mine up on ebay soon @ $5 w/ no reserve :).

Jan's comments struck a chord.
i've gone thru a couple periods where i tried my best to divest myself of possessions that i felt were tying me down and keeping me from growing in my work, and personal life.
i gave away or sold alot of things i had thought i'd treasured, and it was a very liberating experience.
but then time passes and i inevitably began to accumulate more crap.

i would like to thin my collection down quite a bit and keep it down by constantly getting rid of the dead weight, but going thru the shelves its hard to do.
at my peak, i owned about 70 lds, and i thought that was excessive.
500 dvds though,for some reason, seems less worse, because i KNOW there will always be something interesting to watch.
i'll always have something to fit my mood, and there still room for unexpected suprises ("i didn't realize i had this!?")

to address the original point of the thread, yes there are risks to owing a large collection with many that go unopened or unplayed for a while.
we probably are going to suffer a bum disc here and there.
thats the downside for the upside of enjoying the feeling of cracking open a fresh disc that was off your radar until that moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks