1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How critical is *adjustable* DPL II to you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MoG, Apr 8, 2002.

1. MoG

MoG Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm considering a Sherwood Newcastle receiver for my HT, and the only 'feature' it seems to be lacking is adjustable settings for DPL II.

How big of a drawback is this to anyone? What are the DPL II settings in the Sherwood Newcastle's fixed at?

Thanks.

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've got an H/K AVR320 at home and it has no DPLII settings either. It sounds great, so I have no idea what difference the settings might make. Being a constant 'tweaker' though, it's probably a good thing there isn't more to fiddle with!

3. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    MoG:

I still do a lot of listening to two channel sources, so for me, having that flexibility is an important feature. I guess it depends on what you listen to. But, some people on this forum "claim" DPL II is worthless. I like it and use it frequently.

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

MoG - I have DPLII but it's not adjustable on my Pioneer Elite 49TX. I think DPLII is great, but since I'm not able to tweak it I've no idea how valuable that would be.

Bear in mind though that DPLII is 'altering' 2 channel or DPL sources and many like 2 channel (stereo) completely untampered with. And of course for true surround stuff (DD, DTS, DVDA, SACD) DPLII is irrelevant.

5. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I think adjustable DPL-II is a nice feature. I use it to watch TV and depends on what I am watching, sports, sitcoms or game shows and whatever. It is pretty cool that I can adjust the sound to feel more width and/or depth to give me a better sense of surrounding. Utimately it is not something that I cannot live without but it is a nice feature to have.

6. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I am just beginning to experiment with the various settings. I have been encouraged with DPLII only after tweaking with the variables. I was not initially impressed with the music mode (I still prefer 2channel with my SVS)but it is growing on me . So far, I think I could live without it for now.

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Well after an ealier post, I am slowly changing my mind about DPLII. I watched SCARY MOVIE 2 (yeah, I know but I did laugh!) last night on DPLII movie mode(sat with optical) and using my DA5ES bass management I got qiute a bit with my sub. The spacial sounds came off very well. Still not sure abuot music yet, but still playing with the parameters. :b