1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

How could anyone like pro-wrestling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Although I mean no offence to those that do enjoy (FAKE!!!!!!) wrestling bouts with oiled-up, over-paid "wrestlers", I truly can't understand how anyone could find it compelling, enjoyable, escapist, fun, or any other adjective to describe pleasure. To me, its just a bunch of guys (and a few gals! [​IMG] ) dancing around, taunting each other, throwing chairs around, posing for the cameras, and performing shockingly-fake looking moves on each other.
    Could someone please explain the appeal.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I used to like it when I was about 10 years old before I knew it was fake. Now its just like a soap opera with violence.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Yes, it is SHOCKING, but professional wrestling is indeed scripted. "Fake" is not entirely accurate. These performers really do make contact with each other.

Why do I like it?

Same reasons that many women like soap operas. Same reason that most people like movies... for the storylines, mainly. The wrestling is secondary to the story that is being told.

You have to look at wrestling for what it is. It's an ongoing movie, an ongoing soap opera. I find it to be very well scripted... and Im not ashamed to say that I find wrestling to be much more "intelligently put together" than many TV shows and movies. It's VERY difficult to continually, week and after week, come up with storylines, etc...

Most TV shows have a yearly run of between 15-25 episodes. They only produce 1 show a week, and have a very long hiatus. Wrestling is "always on." There's no hiatus to plan for the next season.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Paul, you answered your own question. The "appeal" is:

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

It's not that it's FAKE. Granted they never make contatct when they punch each other in face or anything... But if Joe Six-Pack where to attempt nearly any of the "moves" seen in even a slow match of pro-wrestling, Grave injury could probably occur. It takes years of training to be able to pull-off the theatrical antics that they do. And I salute their determination[​IMG]
    Secondly, Until we get to watch Alan Greenspan and Bill Gates go into the colliseum, brandishing Gladius's and net's, This is as close to an actual bloodsport as too be found. Except for maybe the UFC, but pay-per view is expensive, and it got kinda boring after Gracie won a whole bunch in a row.
    Thirdly: All women's BIKINI-POLE-PADDLE-MATCH!
    Fourthly: Chyna. Granted she quit, so now I rarely watch it anymore. I insted watch Iron Chef.
    ps: Morimoto rulez!

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Watch Beyond the Mat. I think Barry Blaustein said it all.

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I watch it because it's fun. End of story. Oh yeah, and the hotties like Stacey Kiebler (sp?). Trish is hot, but looks too fakish for me.

13. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Mmmmm ... Stacie Keebler [​IMG] ...
    Anyway, I watch wrestling because quite frankly it amuses me. It's actually pretty fun to watch. If you watch it enough, you begin to get into the story lines, and can pretty much predict what's going to happen next, and you find yourself drawn in wanting to see what happens. Also, I admire their athleticism. It is extremely physical, and people do get hurt. Badly. The Owen Heart accident is an example of what happens when things go wrong. A wrestler named Droz is paralyzed from the neck down because of a move that wasn't executed properly. I've even seen someone's leg bone *snap* when he landed from jumping off the top rope. These people essentially risk their lives to entertain us. Baseball and basketball players can get paid more than these guys, and the risks are fewer. The toll on their bodies is tremendous, especially with the smaller daredevils. You may not like or understand it, but you got to respect the players of the game for what they do ...
    Freddy C.

14. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Isn't like asking:

How could anyone like Jerry Springer?

How could anyone like All my Children, Dallas, ect ?

None of these shows have any value to them like wrestling but are just mere entertainment. I'll watch pro wrestling any day over boxing where two guys try to knock out each other for real. And why does the point of being fake keep on coming up? Is there a single adult out there that still think it's real? Who said it was real? Did anyone come out and said "Oh, those soaps are fake."

Like everyone else have already said, it's the story behind it. I record it and when I watch it back, I usually fast forward most matches along with the commercials. I only watch main matches and even when I do, I expect it to be more than just a straight match. I expect it to be unexpected like a twist in a plot of a movie.

People who criticize people who enjoys pro wrestling just don't understand what it's all about. They think it's so big today because people like the violence and all the beating but in fact, it has buildup, climax, resolution like most things you look for in a straight out action movies of some sort. What's more, I laugh so hard watching it. It's a lot funnier than many bad sitcoms that are out these days.

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Some really good responses. In future I'll bear some of your excellent points in mind before passing judgement on the wrestlers. [​IMG]

16. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Paul, good answer. Does that mean you'll give wrestling a try? Just kidding :bg:.

17. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    It's like the Three Stooges There are those who love it and those of us who scratch our heads in bewilderment and can't even begin to fathom how anyone could enjoy it. It's always been that way and always will be.
    Take, Angelina Jolie, Half the guys I know, think she is an uber hot babe! while the other half thinks she fell face first out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Why the division of opinions? I have no idea.

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

19. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

20. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

I listened to the radio awhile ago. This one person said that "it is sad because younger generation doesn't know the difference between Michael Jordan and a pro wrestler." I think the same can apply to some of the WWF fans as well. My boss went to watch it once with his friends. He made some comment like, "these guys look fake." One of his friends turned around and looked at my boss as if he wanted to swallow my boss alive.