What's new

How cool would this be -- Dream Theater opening for Rush? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I was browsing Mike Portnoy's website, and was surprised to see this response from Mike to a query about DT opening for a possible Rush tour:

- ...a chance to join what would be one of the bigger concert draws of the year - it's about EXPOSURE, people.

- The opportunity to play with your childhood idols. Ask Les Claypool about Primus' experience with Rush.

There's no denying which band plays more progressive music - or, I dare say, has more chops - but let's not forget Rush as one of THE trailblazers of this genre.

Finally, there is also an opportunity for cross-sampling - DT fans who really haven't heard much by Rush as well as (and this is the biggie) the legion of Rush fans who haven't heard how far DT has taken the genre in the years since Rush kind of gave up the longer, more progressive pieces.

A Rush-DT bill would simply be one of the greatest concert experiences I could imagine. Let's hope Rush and Atlantic can see this one for its potential and not screw up (as they usually do) by taking out groups like Melvins, Mr. Big, etc. - some of the groups I've had to bear while waiting for my heroes!
This would be awesome! (I have no idea whether it is even a possibility, but the fact that Portnoy mentioned it as a serious goal is noteworthy.)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny, but I first heard of Dream Theater in a thread about who people would want to open for Rush years ago. (This was back in the I&W days.)

It would be interesting to say the least, tho I think some DT fans would probably be disappointed in the short set, like when they opened for Deep Purple/ELP some time ago.

Jason

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it is interesting to contemplate what they would do in a 60-minute set. Perhaps a condensed medley of their better songs.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I saw DT open for ELP and Deep Purple. It was the first time I saw them in concert, and, of course, it didn't do them any justice compared to their full set. The real downer was that the rest of the audience didn't care for them, as they were all older fans of the two headliners. I was definitely the most enthusiastic person there while DT was playing.

ELP did an OK set, nothing special. Palmer did one of his patented ultra-corny prog drum solos, Lake sounded mediocre, and Emerson was flying around the keys as usual. Deep Purple freakin' brought the house down. I wasn't familiar with their music at the time. Actually, the only member I knew was Steve Morse. But I became a fan after that night.

However, DT might do better opening for Rush than the afore-mentioned bands. Rush has a lot of young fans, and there are lots of folks who like both groups and understand Rush's influence on DT.

Sadly, it is rumored that Rush may not tour anymore. Though they are releasing an album, it seems like Neil Peart may have lost the desire to play live. Though it would be unfortunate, I can certainly understand. It could be kind of cool if Rush turns into a studio band, a la Steely Dan in the late 70s.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
If Portnoy was truly serious it would be my dream concert (well maybe a triple bill with Queensryche, but that's asking too much). The reason I say "truly serious" is because of Mike's comments about Neil Peart:

and I figured by putting this tribute together, we'd introduce a whole new generation of kids to who one of our big influences was.... I guess Neil's people-skills are really lacking...I feel sorry for him with all the personal shit he's been through recently, but I lost all respect for him as a person after all the work I put into that CD.... We were just paying tribute and trying to say thanks, but he apparently took it as us trying to make money off Rush's name which certainly wasn't the case...
I'd like to imagine though that if the opportunity presented itself, both bands would be all for it. Just about every guy in DT has listed Rush as a major influence and for Rush it would be a "passing of the torch" so to speak.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I'd have loved to see the "Power Windows" tour with Marillion opening. They basically came out, did the Misplaced Childhood album and left. Audiences were either thrilled or confused, mostly the latter. :)
The one time I've seen Rush, Eric Johnson opened. That was worth seeing.
Ryan

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
John,

It's unclear (to me, at least) what the feelings are between the two bands at this time. I know that when the Rush tribute album came out, Neil Peart made some unflattering comments about the producer (i.e. Portnoy) trying to cash in on Rush's name and that many of the musicians involved were "bar band" musicians.

I think Portnoy was justifiably hurt, even though Peart may have had a point. I have a hope, however, that time has mellowed both sides and something can be worked out.

By the way, when is the new Rush album coming out?

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
First of all, I want to comment about Dream Theater opening up for Rush. I hope it doesn't happen at all (nothing against Dream Theater), but I would rather see Rush do the same format as their last tour "An Entire Evening with Rush". For all of the albums that Rush has out, it is very difficult to play at least 2 songs from each album during a 2 hour set (and you know that they will play about half of their new album to promote the sales).

Brian,

The last "rumored" date that has been circulating through the discussion boards is May 14. It is (again) rumored that the album will have 13 songs with 3 averaging over 7 minutes in length (PLEASE REMEMBER...THIS IS A RUMOR, NOT FACT).

Brett B.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
The new Rush album has been pushed back til May 21st, and the rock station here in St. Louis has reported on several occasions that they are planning to tour in 2002.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been to a concert in 13 years. If Rush and DT got together I'd be there in a heartbeat. If they didn't tour the Boston area I'd fly to the closest venue. I don't think that it will happen though. It's just too good to be true.

Sorry to hear that Peart was down on Portnoy's efforts. I imagine that losing your wife is an extremely difficult thing to go through and would significantly alter your normal perspective.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I've also heard/read the same info as Brett, May 14th release date (confirmed by Anthem/SRO).

I know that when the Rush tribute album came out, Neil Peart made some unflattering comments about the producer (i.e. Portnoy) trying to cash in on Rush's name and that many of the musicians involved were "bar band" musicians.
You're right about that Brian. Portnoy's comments were in response to a question posed to him about what Neil said. He was obviously hurt by Neil's take on the project, probably because Neil was his drummimg hero. The (Portnoy) interview was in June of 2000. Let's hope time heals all wounds and these guys get together!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks