how connect ht receiver to pro audio power amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by eli, Nov 12, 2003.

1. eli

eli Extra

hello folks i'm newbie on ht forum yesterday i registerd i'm sorry because my english is not my mother tongue i need some help how to connect rca preout output from my yamaha rx -v800 receiver to my pl 1/4 phono plug input on power professional audio amp yamaha p3200 i bought it because my budget was tight and i need powerfull amp to drive a pair of infinity 15 inch speakers sm 150 my problem is low level signal coming out of receiver i use rca to pl adapters who feed signal to power amp [pl input] but signal is so weak especially when dvd source is choosen on receiver functioning like a preamp can't listen to music or dvd i did some research and found that is low level signal not matching power amp input it must be converted somehow to reach highest voltage of amp input i used pro audio mixer behringer brand to bust signal it works good but it add some hiss can i find professional grade converter [booster] without noise how can i solve tbis problem please help thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Eli,

Make sure you have the front channels turned all the way up. Check pages 22 and 23 of your manual for instructions on how to do this.

Also make sure you have the gain knobs on the 3200 turned all the way up. And on the back, make sure you have the switch set to “Stereo,” not “Bridge” or “Parallel.”

Aside from that, DVDs generally have to be turned up louder than music, because they have lower levels. And, much of the time with DVDs the center channel speaker works the most.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. eli

eli Extra

thank you very much for help what kind of manual you are talking about? manual of receiver or amp. what you adviced me i did it.it works fine with cd source without help of mixer but when i switched to dvd source on receiver signal was terrible weak again.gain knobs on p3200 were set to almost 90% of total power and signal coming out of main speakers did not match even a level of center channel so i connect it again with mixer signal was boosted by 15db and noise was'nt heard.i have seen your gear very impressive tell me can i find some sound processors[not dolby digital etc...]that could fix it boosting differnt level of signals signal conditioners could i buy it? please tell me. with kind regards eli

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, I meant the receiver’s manual. No matter, you have already found out what to do.

5. eli

eli Extra

thank you very much you saved me fom growing desperation do you mean 100% of amp power . it will be safe for my speakers?.i know you have more experience in using pro audio and consumer gear but i did all what you told me over past three days yes in dvd case i got some problem i set volume knob to 100% and did not use mixer by lowering volume power of rear and center channels i got some volume balance but it was so quiet and weak i was dissapointed and connected mixer to boost signal i can set all these knobs on amp mixer and receiver to get some balance witout presence of the hiss . i wantto ask you about mixer capabillity of converting signal formats it has two line inputs with knobs +4 -10 and down is written line +10 -40dBu could this do some converting of signals like a rane's balance buddy this mixer has another inputs stereo pl with knob labeled level 0..15 but when i set it up i have got hiss .i have seen in my country rane bb maybe this will fix it thanks for help eli p.s if you would like know my system consists of yamaha rx-v800 .p3200.yamaha cd player cdx-396 infinity main speakers sm -150 sub jamo e8 jamo rear e-470 jamo 180 studio in other room and wharfedale music center toshiba dvd s 1200 regards eli