how come there are not many boston speaker reviews?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Dec 6, 2001.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i thought boston acoustics is a good brand. however, when i was trying to find a set of microspeaker, i couldnt find any review about their system 9000 II ( system 9000 is reviewed at audioreview only ).

i havent found any boston products reviewed on audiophile websites! why????

2. felix_suwarno

i got a feeling that boston acoustics is not a popular brand. enlighten me please!

3. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

yeah.. i don't know myself why BA doesn't get much reviewed. They're a pretty good speaker, IMHO, I listened to the 9000 & 10K w/ PV600 once, and they sounded great for satellite speakers. Have you tried visiting eCoustics? They provide link to many proffessional review for many speakers.
    Joel

4. felix_suwarno

thanks, i will try that.

the vr series is my dream system! and nobody has any interest to talk about it here. wwwhhhhhhyyyyyyy?

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Felix...

Being in the neighborhood for new speakers myself, I gave the new Boston VR-M series SERIOUS consideration. Having a small listening room, I wanted a bookshelf type speaker that gave Monitor type sound for below $1K. The Boston VR-M60's were AWESOME. I compared them with the B&W's 602, CDM 1NT's, Paradigm Studio 20's and 40's as well as some more obscure brands like Linn Audio and the Dynaudio Contour and Audience lines. I would have to say the Boston's held their ground in every respect to the before mentioned lines except in maybe the case of the Dynes. They were sublime, but you pay for it and I couldn't splurge for the 1.3's.

I decided to go with the Paradigm Studio Reference 40's in the front and the 20's in the rear because for the price I can get them at $1200 for both pairs, it was a no brainer. Living close to the boarder for a HIFI fix is one of the benefits here, but if I lived somewhere where that wasn't an option, the Boston's would have warranted SERIOUS consideration. Feel free to go with them if you enjoyed their sound...they are very reputable.

-Evan

6. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

felix,

same here with evan. i listened to the vrm60's and they really sound good but the price difference w/ paradigm made me go w/ studio20.

7. felix_suwarno

ariel and evans :

how do you guys describe the vrm sound?

thx

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Using adjectives to describe sound is very subjective but here goes.

The speakers are revealing and will show misgivings based on the sources you feed into them...bad recordings sound like bad recordings.

Female vocals were unreal...very good.

Overall I'd say the sound was pretty neutral, slightly on the "warm" side...not bright at all but the highs were very crisp and overall a very "smooth" sound.

Don't know if that helps, but maybe?

-Evan

9. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

Sound and Vision has recently reviewed the following Boston speakers.

VR975, VR920, VR-MX

VR950

System 10K with PV800

CR75

The problem is Boston doesnt allow internet sales so you end up paying close to retail. And they tend to be slightly more expensive to start with. But IMHO, very much worth it.

I dont know where you will find a review on the system9000II. What I can tell you is the sub that comes with that system (its the PV-600 if sold seperately) is fantastic. I did a 2 week side by side comparison between the PV-600 and (everyones favorite $500 sub) HSU. Both were very good but the pv-600 won. And its only $400. So what did I do..........I bought 2.

10. Patrick Senez

I agree that the reviews are hard to come by.
    I have recently bought these speakers for my HT:
    VR950 (front)
    VR910 (center)
    CR65 (surround)
    PV600 (sub)
    and they're great. I auditionned them with some PSB (Image series) and for music, the BA sounded more natural. Maybe for HT there's better, but I'm very pleased with my Boston Acoustics speakers. I strongly recommend them.
    If only my Marantz SR5200 would work properly... [​IMG] But that is in another thread...

11. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

felix,

the vrm's are very good speakers as i have stated and if only they're a bit cheaper from here, i will take them.

for the sound, the high's are very clear but it never sound harsh. the bass is very tight and clear but it is a bit limited (as shown by the specs.) but for a small room, i think that this will be enough (for music listening only - no organs). as mentioned by evan s, female vocals are wonderful. i don't think that you can go wrong with this model. maybe you can compare it with the energy veritas 2.1 if you have listened to one. hope this helps.

12. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I have the Boston VR-M60's. I love them. Great for music and HT. I auditioned many brands including Paradigm, Monitor Audio, M&K, Polk, Klipsch, etc. I am planning on getting either another pair of the VR-M60's or possibly the 50's for my surrounds in the very near future. It is hard to find reviews of these speakers and in fact I have yet to find a review of the VR-M60's in a magazine and because they are not reviewed very often or even advertise that much- in relation to other speaker manufacturers- I feel they are somewhat overlooked. They are not the cheapest speaker out there but I find them to be reasonable priced for what you get. I have no regrets in my purchase of these speakers and I have had them for almost a year now. I did plan on getting the matching sub, the PV-1000 but I couldn't justify the cost/performance ratio and went with an SVS 20-39PC which blends extremely well with the VR-M60's. I feel the Bostons are certainly worth serious consideration.

13. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I love my Boston's. I've had them for several years. Boston's don't get much love on this forum, but that doesn't mean they aren't good speakers. The best thing to do is listen, compare, and buy what you like (how many times a week is this said on the forum?). I picked mine over some more expensive Klipsch. I just loved their open airy sound and tight bass response. I won't upgrade speakers until I can move into a much more expensive class of speaker.

14. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

15. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Saurav:
    Though Linn and Dynaudio are well known, and highly respected in the audiophile community, they have lesser appeal to the home-theater crowd. (Why am I telling you this? You know it as well as I [​IMG] )
    This disparity is consistent with what appear to be considerable differences between the tastes and experiences of the two groups.
    Larry

16. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

17. Rich_B

Rich_B Extra

I have VR975s and a VR920 center channel. I am very happy with them. Check out www.audioreview.com for reviews of the Boston speaker line.

18. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

I'm old enough to remember the pre-disco BeeGees!! [​IMG]
    (Anyone else remember New York Mining Disaster 1941?)
    As for the snob thing, you're preaching to the converted. I chose the words in my previous post carefully, so as to not offend anyone.
    Larry

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

OK, maybe "more obscure" was a poor choice of words. I most likely would have gone with something from the Contour line or the Linn Ninka for my purchase, but due to my budget, maybe I should have said this.

"Something less financially available, like Linn Audio or something from the Dynaudio Contour line."

Is that better? My decision was based strictly on budget. I LOVED the Linn and Dynaudio offerings, and the Boston's to a lesser degree, but the choice was for me based on a enjoyment to value scale, for which the Paradigm's came out on top.

But that's just me.

20. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Evan:

I'm pretty sure Saurav was just busting your chops. I certainly wasn't offended by your post.

There are many very good speaker manufacturers, which produce a variety of quality products at many different price levels.

Felix: On a separate note, I wouldn't worry about the lack of reviews of Boston Acoustics. We all like to receive assurances that we've made good decisions, and to know that others share our tastes, but in the world of hi-fi all that matters is that you like the way a product sounds.

Regards,

Larry

P.S. Saurav: I sent an E-mail to you.