What's new

How come "Splash" (1984) has never been released on Blu-ray in Region A? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I was retrieving my DVD of "Dragnet" which I'm going to trash now, since I just received the Shout Select Blu-ray, I noticed the 1999 and 2004 DVDs of "Splash" in my Tom Hanks section of my film library. The movie was a hit and it's 2019, so I don't quite understand why Disney has never released it on Blu-ray. Hopefully, it will be available on Disney+. It's available in HD digitally on Vudu and iTunes, but for $17.99 which is too expensive for my taste.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As I was retrieving my DVD of "Dragnet" which I'm going to trash now, since I just received the Shout Select Blu-ray, I noticed the 1999 and 2004 DVDs of "Splash" in my Tom Hanks section of my film library. The movie was a hit and it's 2019, so I don't quite understand why Disney has never released it on Blu-ray. Hopefully, it will be available on Disney+. It's available in HD digitally on Vudu and iTunes, but for $17.99 which is too expensive for my taste.

I got mine from AUS several yrs ago -- oldish transfer but not too bad for $7-8
Seems I've seen in for sale on Deep Discount many times and AmazonUS occasionally though doesn't seem to be in either place for now. Actually -- even looking on the AUS sites I'm not seeing it so I wonder if it's OOP. Even teh Brazil regon A release seems to have disappeared. I'm not even seeing them on Ebay now

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think I paid $4.99 Robert on either iTunes or vudu during a sale. It looks great.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got mine from AUS several yrs ago -- oldish transfer but not too bad for $7-8
Seems I've seen in for sale on Deep Discount many times and AmazonUS occasionally though doesn't seem to be in either place for now. Actually -- even looking on the AUS sites I'm not seeing it so I wonder if it's OOP. Even teh Brazil regon A release seems to have disappeared. I'm not even seeing them on Ebay now

Splash almost certainly is OOP down under. Has been for about a year, which is when I was attempting to pick up my copy and it was unavailable from places like JB Hi-Fi, so I had to break down and ebay it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

It was released in Australia (apparently now OOP) on Blu-ray, and this is the one I have. Contains a commentary and looks pretty good. Region code is all-region.

https://www.amazon.ca/Splash-Blu-ra...7?keywords=splash&qid=1555701960&s=dvd&sr=1-7

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Splash-Blu-ray/65605/

As I type this, eBay does not appear to have any copies.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I also have the good-looking, region-free Oz release of Splash, but it does seem to now be OOP.

Delightful film, and it contains perhaps my favourite director-cameo in all of cinema. I had not noticed this cameo in prior viewings until my daughter pointed it out when we first watched the Blu-ray some years ago. I wonder if any other members here spotted it?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I also have the good-looking, region-free Oz release of Splash, but it does seem to now be OOP.

Delightful film, and it contains perhaps my favourite director-cameo in all of cinema. I had not noticed this cameo in prior viewings until my daughter pointed it out when we first watched the Blu-ray some years ago. I wonder if any other members here spotted it?
I don’t remember that. What was the cameo?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I don’t remember that. What was the cameo?

If you have Splash in any home video format, then go to the 40:46 mark.

Daryl Hannah is in an electronics section of a department store facing a bank of TV sets, all of which are showing Richard Simmons leading a dance workout to the tune of ‘She Works Hard for the Money’.

Ms Hannah exercises right along with the TV program, while the store attendants make futile attempts to stop her.

Take a closer look at the dance instructor. That is no Richard Simmons.

I’ve not seen any references anywhere to this hilarious director-cameo, but it is so clear once you know to look for it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If you have Splash in any home video format, then go to the 40:46 mark.

Daryl Hannah is in an electronics section of a department store facing a bank of TV sets, all of which are showing Richard Simmons leading a dance workout to the tune of ‘She Works Hard for the Money’.

Ms Hannah exercises right along with the TV program, while the store attendants make futile attempts to stop her.

Take a closer look at the dance instructor. That is no Richard Simmons.

I’ve not seen any references anywhere to this hilarious director-cameo, but it is so clear once you know to look for it.
That’s hilarious. I’ve seen that scene several times and not caught that. He hid in plain sight.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I loved Splash but probably haven’t watched it in 20 years.
Surprised that there’s no blu yet.

I remember one of the times I saw it at the movies the masking was apparently wrong on the scene when they just show her legs.
As she is walking and supposed to be naked, we could see the bottom of her shirt at the top of the screen.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member

I just put the film in to check and it sure looks like Richard Simmons to me. The writers and Ron Howard's father and brother have cameos in this, but if this is a famous director cameo, I sure don't know who it is.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I just put the film in to check and it sure looks like Richard Simmons to me. The writers and Ron Howard's father and brother have cameos in this, but if this is a famous director cameo, I sure don't know who it is.

I don’t have insider knowledge of this, and as with all things I might turn out to be mistaken.

However, it was Ron Howard’s voice urging “Come on! Come on!”, which first registered with my daughter.

I told her it couldn’t be, but when we took a closer look on the Blu-ray (which provides enough resolution to see his face in the TV zoom-in shot), to our profound delight we saw Richie Cunningham in a curly wig.

I can’t speak to the distant TV shots - it could be that the real Richard Simmons appears in those to keep the viewer guessing, but the brief zoom-in seems very much to be Ron Howard.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I don’t have insider knowledge of this, and as with all things I might turn out to be mistaken.

However, it was Ron Howard’s voice urging “Come on! Come on!”, which first registered with my daughter.

I told her it couldn’t be, but when we took a closer look on the Blu-ray (which provides enough resolution to see his face in the TV zoom-in shot), to our profound delight we saw Richie Cunningham in a curly wig.

I can’t speak to the distant TV shots - it could be that the real Richard Simmons appears in those to keep the viewer guessing, but the brief zoom-in seems very much to be Ron Howard.
Splash.jpeg

I would say that isn't Richard Simmons and is Ron Howard, even in this low resolution YouTube video. Look at about the 2:20 mark. Richard Simmons was never this slim.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's odd. That was one of their biggest hits of the 80s.

Unless it's The Golden Girls or anything that mixes live-action with any type of animation, they seem to want you to forget everything they did for the 20 years before The Little Mermaid. Hence the low-profile releases to streaming instead of disc (except for a few Disney Movie Club releases). You'd think the US would have gotten something by now since the DVD had extras, so it still had some sway as a catalog title in the 2000s. Maybe if there is an American disc in the works they're saving it for the 35th anniversary which is this year.

The 1988 made-for-TV sequel Splash, Too, in which Amy Yasbeck replaces Daryl Hannah (who did a movie called High Spirits with Peter O'Toole and Steve Guttenberg instead), has only been on video outside the US. No one came back from the original except Dody Goodman. Tom Hanks might have had to give up an Oscar-nominated role in Big to return. Ron Howard was busy with Willow, which Disney got in the Lucasfilm deal despite being bounced between MGM and Columbia for theatrical and home video releases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks