How come only the Outlaw post gets to go to the top.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

A Looonnnng time ago a post would move to the top based on when it was updated. I'm not starting any fights. I'm just wondering.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

You know I was wondering the EXACT same thing just a day or two before the server crashed. There was a time when that thread would stay inactive for about 4-5 hours, yet would remain at the very top. Why is that? Is the HTF playing favorites where the Outlaw is concerned? You know, I just had to go there...sorry[​IMG]

3. Legairre

Well Evan I think it's safe to say we'll be booted out of here now[​IMG]. I think this is a question a lot of people have been wanting to ask, but are afraid to. It was nice being a member while it lasted.
    Sniff, sniff, I'll miss you guys.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Legairre

Come on. Evan and I can't be the only ones around here wondering about this. I know if WILL was around he'd chime in.
    Wills always starting trouble.[​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Admins have the ability to make a topic 'sticky' so it appears at the top of the forum area. I would guess one of the admins decided to apply a sticky status to the Outlaw 950-related threads for a time period until the interest in the beta-testing had waned.

6. Olivier_M

Olivier_M Auditioning

Most forum softwares allow threads to be "pinned" (that means always on top).

Fortunately, I think only admins can do that though, imagine if all threads were pinned, you'd have to skim through 20 pages of threads before seeing your own.:p)

OOOPS, patrick beat me to that one :b

7. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

O.K. Guys! You got me.
    A "conspiracy theory" is finally verified (although for the wrong reasons).
    As others mentioned, we administrators have the ability to "stick" threads to the top of a section for a variety of reasons. In the case of the Outlaw threads I did this (but not to favor Outlaw). For one thing, I wanted to "stick" the beta report thread to the top (the one that LarryB originally started) so that we would avoid a lot of unneeded Outlaw threads and posting questions that had already been addressed. In the case of my Outlaw thread, quite honestly I did this so that whenever I checked back (limited time right now for some obvious and some not-so-obvious reasons) I'd be sure to see it on page #1. Actually, "sticking" this particular thread really turned out not to be necessary since it proved to be the most popular thread we've ever had in this section and it got so many responses that it would stay near the top by itself.
    Also, it has been my practice whenever I stick threads that if I don't see activity in, say, 24 hours or so, then I feel it's run its course and I unstick it. I've done this several places on the HTF in the time I've administered here. And, ironically, I was about to "unstick" the thread for inactivity when the crash occurred.
    Incidentally, 4 or 5 hours doesn't, in my mind, constitute "inactivity". I count inactivity in days, not hours.
    And, for the record, I got paid the same amount to "stick" the Outlaw threads as I do to monitor this forum. In other words, zilch! But Outlaw promised to triple my pay the next time so I'm looking forward to that!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Robert, I wasn't giving the 4-5 hour example as a reason to "unstick" the thread, but simply to give a point of reference that when there is inactivity of that time period of course that thread would have been overtaken by numerous other threads on the subsection, but wasn't in this case. I realize there is about a 1:1 ratio of HTF members who are interested in this unit to those who aren't so keeping it at the top made sense. But when the server crashed, the newly created Outlaw threads were right back up there at the top and a couple of us thought this unusual is all. Hopefully there is no offense taken with our innocent jabs.:b

9. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

"Actually, "sticking" this particular thread really turned out not to be necessary since it proved to be the most popular thread we've ever had in this section and it got so many responses that it would stay near the top by itself."

Well, it's kind of difficult to ascertain cause and effect there. Obviously the topic will be more popular and get more posts when the thread is stuck at the very top. It doesn't bother me about the thread being stuck. Just making an observation.

10. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Larry,
    Another good point (and one that I should have mentioned.) There are times when we want some information available to those who visit a forum section but, at the same time we don't want anyone posting to it (except on rare occasion.) As Larry said, without posting, threads sink into the abyss very quickly. The 950 Beta reports thread is an excellent case in point.

11. Will

Will Guest

12. Will

Will Guest

Larry,
    I hope guys like you feel safer posting here knowing I'm still here.
    Actually I think I know how you feel. I felt much safer posting whenever someone a little farther out was posting too. That is, I did feel safer, until he got booted. So now I don't feel quite as safe. But as I understand it, as long as we don't violate forum rules we won't get booted. And also, the really nice thing about RAF is that he mentioned in a previous post that so far he hasn't actually booted anybody yet, not that he wouldn't but he hasn't, which I think gives me more confidence in speaking my mind here, as long as I'm within HTF guidelines of course, than I might be if this thread were run by a booting administrator. I mean, RAF did not boot the person who was farther out. Someone else did. Although RAF still likes to tweak the one who was booted via cute firewire jokes in other threads.
    But I think it's not wise to tempt the fates too often so I may tone it down now. I just had to show you guys I'm still alive and kicking here, since you guys mentioned me and seemed to wonder where I was.
    After I do tone it down, not to worry since I'm sure someone else will speak up and become the official or unofficial miner's canary as it were, around here. In case you are wondering what that means, well, the miners' canary is what miners took into the caves to see if the air was poisonous. A canary succumbs to lesser amounts of poison than a human does. And if the canary died, the miners would retreat out of the cave lest they too died.

13. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Thanks, LarryB. I have e-mailed the two other beta testers that I have been in contact with (John and Gene) and I would hope that they have their original comments stored somewhere for reposting here in the appropriate thread. We still have an outside chance that some of the missing threads can be resurrected (supposedly they are still there, but the links were trashed in the DB) so this might be a moot point. Fingers crossed.

14. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

15. Will

Will Guest

16. Will

Will Guest

I noticed the *** Official Rotel 1066 Review Thread ***. I'm quite impressed, RAF. [​IMG] Now all it needs are some postings. [​IMG]

17. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

RAF, I want you to know that you are treading on borderline dangerous stereotypes here. Assuming Will is either "older", or well read is slightly condescending to the youth of America. I'm taking a wild stab here but will go out on a limb to say that Will is below the age of 35 (just a guess based on some of the text in his posts). I do not consider myself old either at 30. However, I knew the Miners Canary reference right away. Maybe the youth of America watches too many cheesy old westerns. Ever think of that?[​IMG]
    Then again, I do read quite a bit. Maybe you are right after all!!![​IMG]

18. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

(Just posting to represent my cohort. 24 in tha' house!)
    Yeah RAF, give us some credit! While I am not Welsh, or West Virginian for that matter, I did go to school. [​IMG]
    You're much too young to be that cynical. [​IMG]

19. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Gentlemen (and any ladies lurking),
    Mental age and physical age are not always one and the same. I know many a 24 year old who is much more mature than many 50 year olds I know.
    [​IMG]
    My comments (and kudos) to Will were based on his use of terms like "miner's canary" and the like. It's a refreshing change from all the terms I constantly see in postings all over the Internet that include such items as "alot," "your" for 'you're," etc. ad infinitum. And I'm not talking about simple spelling and grammatical mistakes (which we all make from time to time in our mad dash to answer others without proofreading everything.) Neither am I talking about some of the mistakes that occur when English is the second or third language of the writer (I have enough trouble with just one language and am in awe of those who are multilingual). I'm referring to the errors that people use over and over again with no clue that they are making mistakes.
    I realize that this is not really an "age" phenomenon, but it has been my experience that, all other things being equal, the younger generation tends to be less well read and I can usually figure out the age range of most correspondents after sufficient exchanges. A stereotype? Maybe. But not really, just a reality in my experience. And, of course, the majority of people who tend to post on forums like this one, especially addressing issues that we discuss here, are usually the exception rather than the norm. The fact that we are debating the merits or various pre/pros et. al. usually means that a certain level of literacy, regardless of age, has been obtained.
    I don't consider this condenscending at all, but, of course, you are entitled to your opinions. I just don't have to agree with all of them.

20. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

posted by RAF:
    -------------
    (and any ladies lurking),
    -------------
    i'll find myself a wife who has to beg me whenever she wants to buy electronic equipment [​IMG]