What's new

How come no one ever discusses Bryston on this board? (1 Viewer)

Dave Herkert

Agent
I sure wish I had a Bryston:)
They really are a "can't miss" amp. If you have the dollars, it's a no brainer. Trouble is, I don't have the funds to get one (or two!) for my passive subs, let alone seven channels of Bryston bliss for the whole HT. I like my Outlaw 750 for the 5 channel amp, but I really would like to go Bryston for my subs.
Once I replace my pre/pro, I'll work on it:D

Martice

Screenwriter
Brystons are extremely honest amps and before I had to sell my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 pre amp I was going to pick up one of the 3BST amps. I was using the line 1's HT bypass for and the Harman Kardon 2.0 for movies. Unfortunately, my wife didn't like having to navigate through the maze of equipment inorder to watch a movie so I had to break my system down and let the Line 1 go. :frowning:
Now that I've purchased the GR AV1+'s I will be back but I'm not quite sure if I will have a tube preamp this time.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I think that Bryston makes great products. I don't know why there is not more discussion. I previously owned a 4B-ST and briefly bough power pacs. My speakers were too power hungry and my room too large so I changed. I just sold my pre/pro and ordered the SP-1.7 which I should have next week. I ordered the pro version which comes with a balanced digital assignable connection vs. the 2 toslinks on the regular version. THe Bryston Pre/Pro in the bypass mode is the equivalent of a BP-25 preamp. My friend has the current version of the SP-1 and previously had the BP-25 when he had separate music and HT systems. As an analog only preamp for CD sources, I think it is better than almost anything out there, and I have listened and compared it with great CD players against $15k preamps. I think the preamp is the best product they make that I have heard for music. My second choice would be the 7B monoblocks and I have not heard the 14B-ST yet and am afraid to. It is supposed to be a hell of an an amp.

Rob_Z

Grip
Great discussion about amps. I'm trying to do this right the first time, so I am reading all the receiver/separates threads. So I don't know enough to flame either one. With that disclaimer. I am totally with everyone on the separate amp concept, so my research has turned to the pre/pro, a decent one the SP 1.7 or the new Aragon Stage One cost 3k - 4K. As I understand it the pre/pro processes the input with the software, THX, Dolby, etc, which would mostly be the same across pre/pro's and receivers. So, If the Bryston SP 1.7 cost about 3K + , wouldn't you get more bang for the buck buying the 5803 or 49tx?

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Damn,

There goes my money. I was certain I had to have Bryston amps. Now I am going to pour over SP1.7 reviews, mire myself in doubt about the other choices, and blow a bunch of money on an all-Bryston setup. Maybe the reviews will suck and save me? Doubt it, the BP25 is the 'heart' right and it got great reviews. Ahh, hell.

GeorgeK

Auditioning
I have a three channel 6B-ST for my front sound stage (left, center, right). The build quality on this thing is very impressive, it is a very hefty 80 pounds. I am only driving two channels right now, using a 1984 vintage original Carver receiver as pre-amp (until my ship comes in on the Outlaw 950 lottery).

I bought this used off audiogon, 19 years left on the TRANSFERRABLE warranty. Bryston's warranty policy was a primary consideration for me in choosing this amp. Talk about confidence in your product!

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Man,

I just read teh SP1.7 manual. May have to read several times but is it lacking any features that are normally in demand?

It doesn't have the Outlaws triple cross-over.

It doesn't provide any video switching (kind of a bummer)

It allows delay/distance settings to every speaker.

It saves volume levels for all speakers and the sub in every mode.

LFE output is very flexible with regards to large settings.

It has true analog passthrough and allows you to quickly switch between using the digital inputs for a source or their analog counterpart.

Damn, damn, damn. Only real reason you could hesitate is cost. Does anyone know the upgrade cost from a SP1? Where is some information on the SP1V - I would like to know if it can compensate for any possible lip sync issues?

brucek

Second Unit
Robert,
Why would you want video switching in a processor of this quality? This is an audiophile quality system - the last thing you want is a bunch of video splashing around inside.
Here's the cost of upgrade.
www.bryston.ca/sp17memo.html
brucek

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Looks like I got my facts mixed up. The SP-1.7 is indeed only THX Ultra and not THX Ultra2. I fixed the other post to reflect that.

For me, the lack of video switching is not a problem. Bryston, as well as some other high-end manufacturers, feel that video switching circuitry pollutes the signal so they recommend an external switcher. So, lack of video switching could actually be a plus.

One feature that is missing, unimportant to me, but might be important to you, is the lack of coax or Toslink digital outputs. This might be a problem if you have DAT or Minidisc recorder/player, but its nothing you can't work around.

The upgrade cost from an SP-1 is $1000. I wasn't aware there was an SP1V version.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"The upgrade cost from an SP-1 is $1000."

Actually, the true upgrade cost is $1200 if you want the remote that comes with the SP1.7. It is my understanding that the SP-1 remote will work with the SP1.7, but that you will need to traverse menus for some functions that will be readily available on the SP1.7's remote.

Michael

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
brucek, gordon,

I am not worried about the lack of video switching because, as you alluded to, this is audiphile quality and strictly concerned with sound quality. I was just mentioning the lack of video switching as being an additional cost.

According to the manual, there is a SP1V video switcher that works with the SP1 to automatically set the audio based on the video selection. I can't find mention of it on the Bryston site however?

Also, how would you compensate for the lack of digital out since Gordon said there is a work-around?

Guys, simply put, is there anything better for audio/HT than the SP1.7 with an ICBM to manage the bass on the 5.1 inputs?

I looked at some used prices and think I may just take that trip to Canada when the time comes and buy new. The jump from low cost to high costs means I will have to extend my time frame for purchase. Figure I am now 9 months away but the HT in the basement should be ready and I guess I will buy a tube amp in the meantime to experiment with on my Heresys.

Or maybe I would be better off slipping a purchase at a time in to the house and the wife may not notice? Just have to look at the budget. Decisions, decisions.

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Answered the SP1-V question myself. Found a memo on the Bryston site where they mention they will be releasing their own video switching unit later in the year... still look forward to your thoughts regarding the other questions.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
is there anything better for audio/HT than the SP1.7 with an ICBM to manage the bass on the 5.1 inputs?
I don't know if these are better, but here are the others I've been looking at in the same price range. Integra Research RDC-7 (rejected because of inadequate bass management) http://www.integraresearch.com/products.cfm?id=1, Cinepro DTC-10 Link Removed, Cary Audio Cinema P-7 http://www.caryaudio.com/ccdp7.html Aragon Stage One http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index...=y&id=&line=&1 The Tag McLaren AV192R Link Removed is certainly a contender but it won't be available until late this year and its cost is still unknown. However, the AV32R is worth looking at because it can be upgraded to an AV192R. All of these are so new (except for the AV32R & RDC-7) there haven't been any reviews yet. I suspect that in order to get something that is overall better than the SP-1.7, you'd have to spend substantially more and get something like a Lexicon MC-12 or a Meridian 561.

brucek

Second Unit
If you had only one digital source, say a CD player, wouldn't a Y-splitter work? I can't imagine a Y-splitter degrading a digital signal.
This is a 75ohm interface. Splitting it with a passive splitter is a bad idea. There are buffer devices that will accomplish this while maintaining the 75 ohm impedance and signal level...

brucek

Dave Herkert

Agent
Robert,
Now that I have more time......
When I researched amps about six months ago, I read extensively on Bryston products. My understanding based on reading a number of reviews was the Brystons are indeed a great amp - but when matched with Bryston preamps, DIVINE:D Also, the Klipsch match up very well with Bryston equipment - I don't think you will regret going the Bryston route. If you can live with the Bryston preamp's feature package (and the price, of course) the sonics should be first rate. The warranty speaks for itself.
I'll warn you though, if you do this, upgraditis could strike again with your speakers - I've heard a Bryston setup with a set of Klipschorns, and it rates right up there with sex:b Heritage Klipsch and Bryston is a wonderful combination.
As to power - 120w should be good enough with your Klipsch. More power is good, IMO, but if you go smaller that's quite OK. Klipsch speakers need little power to sound great. Besides, if you go smaller on the amps, you have more budget for those other upgrades, or just a break for your budget.
For the record, I did buy an Outlaw 750 due to budget constraints, and I don't regret it at all - it's a great value. I am planning to go with the 950 as well, for the same reason. The Bryston, however, is in a different league.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
Speaker upgraditis wouldn't be a good thing. I was tooling along for the last several years with a set of Klipsch KG4's. Started reading this forum and the Klipsch forum. Decided I had to upgrade and bought a set of KSP400's. No sooner had they arrived, I stumbled upon some Heresys and bought those. Fortunately my wife has appreciated the differences each speaker brings to the table. After sticker shock subsides, I am sure she will agree with the Bryston purchases. Its a hammer in the budget but my mother told me long ago, "its a waste of money to settle, when you know you will ultimately purchase what you wanted in the first place, effectively paying twice for the same item" I will delay my purchase and round up the money for the Brystons. Maybe the Bryston SP1-V will be out then as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks