What's new

How come no one ever discusses Bryston on this board? (1 Viewer)

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
I had to use the "official" bit since everyone seems to be now. Serous question though. Rarely does anyone discuss Bryston or suggest Bryston in all the 'what amp should I get' threads. Given that it is made here in good old North America, largely by hand, offers the best warranty in the business, and is consistently rated as a 'tip-top' amplifier, why does it not garner more attention on this forum?

While I aprreciate and am still torn about getting the Outlaw amplifiers, the Outlaw would seem to be more of a disposable item while the Bryston may be the last amplifier you ever buy. Or is that the problem? Or are they too neutral and uncolored?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The same can be said for any of the high-end brands. Most of the people who post here are looking for more affordable brands which is why the Outlaws, Rotels, and Parasounds get more discussion. If you want a Bryston recommendation, you got one. They make world-class amps. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Diamonds and Brystons are forever.
The jury is still out on the others. That's the "unofficial" Official word!
;)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still cleaning up drool from my chin when thinking of Bryston amps...and my wallet is still shaking scared of the thought. I think Bryston is just too far out of reach financially for most of us.

GeorgeC

Agent
I bought an old Bryston 3b (the 20 year transferable wararnty made it easy) and a matching preamp, and am running a pair of Klipsch Cornwall speakers. Heaven.

brucek

Second Unit
Robert,

I love my Bryston stuff. I have three Bryston amps and a Bryston processor. Their warranty is unmatched and the people at Bryston will help with any problems your have.

Are they too neutral and uncolored? - nope that's silly. They boast specs that most amps could only dream of...

Most people just don't seem to want to talk too much about high end amps on the forums....

brucek

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I own Klipsch. I will not be a tube guy till I'm older. From what I here about Bryston and Klipsch (any speaker really) it is the BEST.

When I'm old enough to have a credit card, I'll get one used off the net.

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. I go between their website and Outlaw's over and over. I like what Outlaw is doing and think the company is great...but I read the specs on those Bryston's, look at the individual craftsmanship put into them, see the reviews, and look at a 20 year warranty and have realized I will not be satisfied if I don't own them. The Outlaw combo would be more money on amplification than I have ever spent previously but I have to get those Brystons. Retail they would break the bank but I keep viewing the classifieds and have decided I would buy them used - and keep saving for a while.

My latest thought is to get a 4 channel and a 3 channel. I am powering Klipsch speakers with a minimum efficiency of 94db's (Ksp400's, KG4's, and Heresys) Do any of you with experience think the 120watt amps would power those speakers to reference levels in say a 14X24ft HT or would I be better off grabbing the 200 watt beasts?

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
For those drooling for Bryston, let's not forget the Lexicon NT512 (built by Bryston) which is equivalent to the Bryston 9BST. It's on audiogon.com for $2600!

GordonL

Supporting Actor
My room is 20x20x8 so my room is a bit larger. I drive my 91db DefTechs with a 9B (120wpc) to ear-bleeding levels. I'd say with your smaller room and more efficient speakers, 120wpc is sufficient. Bryston rates their amps conservatively - their 120w amps puts out 150-160w @ 8 ohms. They even include a test report with each amp to show the actual specs.

With the exchange rate these days, it might be worthwhile to fly to Canada for the weekend to pick it up new for what you'd pay used. You should be able get 30-40% off MSRP. A friend of mine did that a few months ago and got a great deal on the 9B. I'm thinking about doing that for the SP-1.7. I've been checking the travel packages and found deals like round-trip airfare and 2 nights lodging for less than $300. Very tempting....

If you had posted a couple days earlier, I could have pointed you to a deal for the Lexicon NT-512 (the 9B with Lexicon cosmetics) for $2000, brand new and factory sealed. It doesn't have the 20yr warranty though but it's still the Bryston quality. Apparently, Lexicon is closing out the NT series amps.

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
Besides the great sound, the real value of the Bryston is it's TRANSFERABLE 20 year warranty. You can pick up a 4 year-old used 3-channel 5B-ST on Audiogon like I did for about $1500 plus get a 16 year warranty to boot. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation.
Matched to my Sony DA5ES receiver (used as prepro and powering the 2 surrounds), it's a great-sounding system for $2300.
MiltK

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Any Canadians want to check on that if you will. How much is a Bryston 9B ST in Canadian dollars? What does that translate to in American dollars?

Depending on the value, maybe I could get a new one. Still, I am not remotely adverse to a used one that is a few years old.

The big trick, as some of you may know, is slipping it past the wife long enough for her to appreciate it before finding out how much it cost.

Patrick Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing to like about Bryston is the way they handle upgrades. For example, if you own an SP-1 pre/pro, you can upgrade it to the new SP-1.7 for $1000. The upgrade includes DD-EX, DTS-ES, DPL-II, 5.1 analog inputs, a new faceplate and a new rear panel.

Anybody else interested in the new SP-1.7?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Robert:

I'm also a huge Bryston fan. I presently own a 4B-ST for my mains and a 9B for my four surrounds and center. I am in the midst of upgrading my mains with either 7B's or a 14B-ST and moving the 4B-ST up for center duty. I am extremely happy with everything presently, I'm simply hoping to make it even better. I do need the extra power as I have MartinLogan all around which are gluttons in the efficiency department....

Personally, I would pass on the Lexicon amps. Yes they are Bryston but you would be giving up 15 additional years of a warranty. And I say that being a Lexicon fan (my processor is an MC-1). Personally, I would spend a few extra dollars for the additional warranty.

Amps are one of the few things in our systems you can grow old with. If you spend a bit extra up front, 20 years buys a lot of "piece of mind".

Regards,

Herb.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hey I have got a Bryston 5B-St, its little spec sheet shows it to be at about 145W at 8ohms. It was purchased 9/99 so that gives it about 17 years left. 19" rack mountable black with handles faceplate, not a blemish on it plus all original box and materials.

Great amp, and gives you amazing piece of mind if anything ever were to happen, but I doubt it will due to such good build quality.

I am very happy with the sound, but then I tainted my ears by listening to an Air Tight ATM-2 tube amp and I want it. Of course the Air Tight retails for $7500 and is one of the best tube amps made, in comparison to the Bryston the Air Tight is smoother, greater soundstage, more 3-D textured, more real sounding, while at the same time having all the great power control of the Bryston. Now this sounds like this is a big knock against Bryston, but for me it isn't. The Bryston is not far behind and for much less money. I am just seeking the ever elusive perfect sound and have decided to go with tubes also don't need the third channel right now. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it.

Email me if interested.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Remember this: Bryston and Airtight are 2 totally different kinds of amps, and as such are used in different applications vis-a-vis speaker efficeincy. Lower sensitivity speakers will clip the Airtights, as they would any low output SET amps.

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in hearing about the SP1.7 and how it stacks up feature-wise to the other pre-pro's. Last time I looked Bryston was not committed to 6 or 7 channel processing and I wonder if they have changed their mind.

brucek

Second Unit
Robert,

The SP-1.7 is THX Ultra2 certified.

• Processes Dolby, DTS, THX, and PCM formats: Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, THX Surround EX, THX Ultra certified, PCM 32kHz, 44kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz sample rates.

• Easy to use — automatically detects input signal bitstream type and adjusts mode; LCD display shows decoding and signal information.

• 6.1 channel and 7.1 channel outputs for EX and ES modes.

• 5.1 analog direct input.

• Easy to set-up — LCD window provides built-in menus for speaker setup, and trim and delay adjustments, and displays alert messages.

• Hand-held, back-lit, 30-button, infrared remote control included.

• Balanced (XLR) outputs for 5.1 channels.

• Allows selection from up to 11 source components.

• Input formats: 4 inputs which may be toggled to either digital or stereo analog sources, 1 discrete analog 5.1 input set, 2 dedicated analog stereo inputs.

• Digital Inputs: 4 coaxial inputs, 2 TOSLINK assignable on Consumer Model, or 1 assignable to AES/EBU on Pro Model.

• Music DSP modes: Natural, Club, Stadium, Hall, Theatre, Church. Party mode (5-channel summed mono distribution for even room-coverage) and 5-channel Stereo option (stereo fed to front & rear).

• DSP circuitry can be bypassed and unit operates in pure analog as stereo audiophile pre-amp.

• Dynamic-limiting for late-night enjoyment of Dolby Digital, DTS.

• Mono and stereo down-mixing option for all modes.

• Digital bass-management modes for all speaker setups.

• Digital toggle button switches easily between digital and analog.

• Stereo and Mono downmixing options for all surround modes.

• Bass redirection modes for any speaker setup.

• “Smart” subwoofer output provides summed signal in stereo bypass mode.

• All analog gain blocks are fully discrete.

• Two separate independent linear power supplies isolate analog and digital circuitry preventing crosstalk or interference.

• Crystal Semiconductor 24-bit, 192kHz D/A Converter.

• Motorola DSP engine.

• Standby Power Mode allows remote power up.

• Built in test-signal generator and test sequencer for easy set-up.

• Each input can have preferred mode saved.

• Individually adjustable trims and delays for each channel.

• Saves all settings on Power Down.

• Integrates with external control systems (AMX, Crestron, and others).

• Control port for external video switchers including the Bryston SPV-1.

• Two 12-volt trigger outputs allow for remote on/off of your amplifier(s) and other home theater accessories such as motorized screens and drapes.

• Easy software upgrade via ROM change.

• Pin-to-pin compatible digital board allows easy hardware upgrades for future formats or digital processing technologies.

• DACs can run up to 192kHz sample rates for future upgrades

• Hand selected and matched transistors.

• Premium components, such as 1% metal-film resistors, polystyrene capacitors, glass-epoxy circuit boards, toroidal power transformers, and gold-plated RCA/XLR connectors.

• Hand assembly.

• Extensive 100-hour test and “burn-in” procedure on every unit.

• Rugged reliable construction.

• 20-Year unlimited transferrable warranty.

Specifications:

Source Selection: Accomodates 11 sources, up to 4 of which may be digital inputs

Digital Inputs: 4 coaxial S/PDIF (RCA), 2 Optical S/PDIF (TOSLINK)

Digital Inputs (Pro model) 1 AES/EBU, 4 coaxial S/PDIF (RCA)

Stereo Analog Inputs: 6 stereo pairs (RCA)

Discrete 5.1 Analog Inputs: Unbalanced (RCA) for Left, Centre, Right, Right Sur-round, Left Surround, and Subwoofer

Main Audio Outputs: Unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR) for Left, Centre, Right, Right Surround, Left Surround, and Subwoofer

Additional Outputs for ES/EX 7.1: Left Rear, Right Rear (RCA)

Audio Record Outputs: 2 stereo (RCA) pairs from any analog input

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-0.25 dB

THD & Noise (20Hz to 20kHz at 3V output level): Less than 0.006% in all modes; below 0.0025% in Bypass mode.

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: Not less than 100dB in all modes; 110dB in Analogue

Bypass Mode (Ref. 1V input, maximum gain, 22kHz bandwidth).

Input Level: maximum 2 Vrms in DSP modes, 4 Vrms in Bypass Mode

Output Level: 8 Vrms (16 Vrms Balanced) in DSP Modes; 10 Vrms (20 Vrms Balanced) in Bypass Mode

Output Impedance: 110 Ohms D/A, A/D Conversion: Crystal Semiconductor 24-Bit Delta-Sigma

Bass Management: 2nd Order high-pass filter (x5), 4th Order low-pass filter; Crossover Frequencies 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, or 120 Hz

Display: Two-line, 16-alphanumeric characters per line, black-on-green

Trigger Outputs: One 12V on/off trigger; one 12V programmable

Power Requirements: 100VAC, 115VAC, and 230VAC models

Remote Functions: Power, master volume, source switching, mode switching, mute, and trims (in test mode)

Control Port: RS-232 (bidirectional, D9 con-nector) port for integration of external control systems (AMX, Crestron, and others using character-based protocols), and for

control of external video switchers

Aux. Infrared Receiver Input: Mini-phone jack

XLR configuration: Pin 1 ground, pin 2 positive, pin 3 negative

Front Panel: Silver or Black; 17”-wide for shelf mounting or 19” rack panel (2 RU, 3.5”/8.9cm. high)

Weight: Approx. 22 lbs (10 kg)

Dimensions (including rubber feet): Shelfmount 17” x 13.5” x 3.8”, 43.2cm. x 34.3cm. x 9.7cm.; Rackmount 19” x 13.5” x 3.8”, 48.3cm. x 34.3cm. x 9.7cm.

brucek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks