How come no New York/New Jersey Comic Con?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 28, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

All the lucky SOB's out west get the fun stuff, while we east coasters get the shaft [​IMG].
    Who would we write to to gain support for a NY comic con, with all the fun stuff the San D version gets? I wanna see the new He-Man show premier a week early too, dammit [​IMG].

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, the first "WizardWorld East" was at Philadelphia (I think) this year. Didn't go - cons have never appealed to me - but I heard it was great.

I think an NYC one would be hard. Sure, you've got Marvel and DC right there, but good convention space is expensive and probably booked a year and a half in advance there. Considering what thin margins the comic industry operates under - especially since many of the "exhibitors" at these cons are individual artists - these big events almost have to be at second-tier cities.

(Bracing for replies from angry Philadelphians and San Diegans)

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Umm, there at least WAS a New York comic con at the Javits, I never went so I don't know if it folded or not

Wizard World was OK, there was a lot of logistics issues that needed to be worked out, some sloppy running (bootlegs in the dealer's room) that really should have been avoided