What's new

How come I'm not seeing more news on the death of Run-DMC's Jam Master Jay? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm a Run-DMC fan, and I was shocked to learn that a few hours ago, their turntablist Jam Master Jay was shot to death at the age of 37.

Yahoo hasn't reported it...

Reuters hasn't reported it...

It isn't on any rap or hip-hop websites...

I caught the news on my local WB affiliate, and I'm still in shock.

Usually, when a famous person dies, it's noted in the headlines of news sites...I haven't seen anything on Jay's demise yet.

So, yes, he's gone, and I'm sad. The music world lost an excellent performer today...why aren't they reporting on it?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Run-DMC were nationwide, for God's sake.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
My wife just heard it on the radio tonight and called me into the room to tell me. I came here to see if anyone was talking about it.
I think it is really weird because all day at work I kept saying lyrics really loudly at work from Jam Master Jammin'
Every body was asking me what it was from.
I was just interupting them and rapping. People would ask me a question, and I would pause for a few seconds and then say:
"He's a one man band, in his own right
Jam-Master jams to the broad daylight
No instruments needed, just two record players
A stage, a crowd and two rhyme-sayers!"

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Just heard this on the radio. Sad. I don't listen to Run-DMC anymore but they were part of my childhood. This is bringing back a lot of memories.

RIP Jay

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Well they are talking about it this morning.
4 of the 20 most popoular news stories on yahoo and
frontpage on CNN.com.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
And it was on the main page of the Swedish newspaper I read every morning, that's how I found out. Very sad. :frowning:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
By the way, the Swedish national public radio channel P3 (think NPR but with lots of modern music, of all kinds :)), are right now airing a short little special program about Jam Master Jay, RUn DMC and their influence on modern music. They put that one together pretty fast... of course it's mostly music. It was only 15 minutes, but that was a nice little tribute.
On a side note, I wish there was an American radio station like P3.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Oh man.
God Bless You Jam Master Jay. God Speed Jason Mizell. Thank you for gifting us with your music for so long and helping start a revolution in music.
I feel blessed I've gotten to see RUN-DMC in concert twice; once in 87 and once a few years ago. They've heavily influenced me as a musician and as a music lover.
Well, I guess Tupac and Biggie needed a DJ.

Sad.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
...why aren't they reporting on it?
Good Lord... give these writers time to put it together.

Looks like you're just speaking too soon.

My local paper had news of this in this morning's edition.

Good Morning America opened their show with this.

And, it's, um, all over the place now.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I think there was some confusion at first with confirming identity. Most of the major news services seemed to hold off on the news until official confirmation was made (from what I had heard he was carrying no identification- and initially the only identification offered by the person that was with him).

Only when their publicist confirmed did stories start running.

-Vince

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I just read this and am in shock. I grew up to RUN DMC and still listen to their discs. Time to go for a drive with some Raising Hell being blared.
RIP JMJ. :frowning:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
man that's really sad, the death of JMJ alone was newsworthy, but the guy was shot to death, I can't believe it wasn't all over the place.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It is tragic that Jam Master was killed, but I think the reason we are not seeing a big deal made of this is because;

1. Rap killings have been done already to death, it is no longer big news.

2. Run DMC honestly has not been a big act for around a decade, and they are more well known as a group rather then individuals making up the group.

J

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I found out about this yesterday afternoon. The link I clicked on to read the story said "rapper killed." JMJ wasn't even one of the guys who crossed my mind.

Run DMC were pioneers, and Jam Master Jay will be missed.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I was a Run DMC fan back in the day and Raising Hell is one of the few rap CDs I own.

RIP Jay

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
sorry to see one of the good die young. The SF chronicle ran a story on the postive influence he had on people... something you never read about until crap like this happens(which in itself is very sad)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks