What's new

How come I can't bottom my subs (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
Well its been a couple of weeks since I added the Samson amp to my Dual SVS 20-39cs with the Improved driver and no matter what I do I have never heard a "clack". I see the amp clipping hard but hear no clack. I assume since I am not hearing it bottom, if there is no distortion I could keep pushing these subs to see what they can do. I was reference +5 db's and I had no problems on TPM THX. Maybe these new drivers are extremely hard to bottom.

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
These expert users quickly discovered far better resistance to bottoming at extreme levels, stronger, deeper bass, and dropped jaws like they hadn't been dropped since they first unboxed their SVS's
-SVS site
Well, Tom and Ron have always lived up to their word, just smile :D

Greg Br

Second Unit
Thats a tough one, for starters TPM Intro, the ball exploding is picture knocking but the sweep down never did alot for me but last night when I was +5 I could really FEEL some good stuff at the very end.

The best intro for me is the T2 THX intro, when I played that my wifes eyes got real big and my daughter whent running for a different room. Visualy think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when the ships come around and it looks like all hell is breaking loose, ok well maybe thats a stretch, at least till I get a couple of SS'S in th room.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Colin, I thought I posted alot but 599 posts and you have only been logged 4 days longer than me, congrats on a quick 600!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Boring desk job

HT obsession

I look for questions with zero replies, I like to help.

If I don't know WTF is going on, I shut up. 600!!! WOOOO!

Thanks!

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Greg, do you have the Gain all the way up on the amp? Have you calibrated your speakers? Just curious cuz that TPM THX intro does a number on my 2039CS (new driver on the way :))

Craig_B

Agent
Greg,

I had no problem bottoming mine, but I guess I was about 5 to 10db over reference with a new single 20-39cs and Samson S700 calibrated to the Denons internal test tones. Now that I have it calibrated to VE, it will just start to bottom at reference at the intro on Toy Story 2 when the name "Toy Story 2" comes on the screen. Is the TPM THX intro lower and louder than the Toy Story logo intro? I usually use the pod race as a demo, so I will have to try out the THX ball exploding. Can you get directly to it from the scene index?

Greg Br

Second Unit
I have not tried Toy Story, and all the movie intros are on the new S&V Home Theater disk so that is where I get it from. Its a good thing that it does not bottom, I just want to make sure I am pushing them the way I should be.

I have the Samson at -10dbs so its not quite full gain, this helps reduce the ground loop

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Figure out how to change titles on your DVD player. Then the THX intro is title 10. Bloopers are title 3.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Greg,

I know this isn't topic related but i have seen some users that have only been here 2 months with over 1000 posts! BTW, i am installing my ISD's on my 25-31's right after i get off the computer. Can't wait to hear em!!

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Warning: The THX into on TPM will wreak havoc on your SVS. I have dual 20-39CS+'s w/ Samson 1000 (calibrated w/ AVIA @ 88db) and @ -10db on my 3802 I hear a "pop" when the ball explodes, and it doesn't sound very good when doing so.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I have to be honest, I feel like I have alot of room still to push these. I am calibrated I am sure of that, I might really push these subs tonight and take some measurements as well, but if I can calibrate 5db's hot and then I am +10db's over reference and hear nothing then I am going to think that something is wrong.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

You may not believe me, but...

I have the S&V disk, and I rented TPM this week. There is a difference between the 2 THX intros. My SVS will "pop" during the ball explosion on the TPM Disk, but I can push the S&V disk much higher (above reference like you stated) and it will not bottom out. I bottom at -12 on TPM.

My sub is calibrated equally with all speakers - not hot!

Go figure...

Troy

Greg Br

Second Unit
I agree, I am sure they know it is a sub killer. Its like the normal THX intro, depending on the DVD it sounds louder, for me the THX intro on T2 is by far the loudest. I have yet to bottom on anything yet, tomorrow I will have Toy Story 2, I am going to push it.

Craig_B

Agent
Troy,

I don't understand how you can be calibrated at 75 and then the sub will bottom at -12. Can you play any of the other bass heavy scenes at reference or will they all bottom the sub? I was having a similar problem and then I found that the internal test tones I had calibrated off of were not correct and I ended up lowering my sub by about 8 after using VE to calibrate.

Craig

VinhT

Second Unit
The way you guys talk about bottoming-out due to high volume levels... I was under the impression that bottoming-out occurs when the frequency being played goes too far below the F3 of the sub. Could someone correct me on this?

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

To my knowledge, I have not bottomed out on any other source material, and I play it very loud. I have reached 115 db easy when I watch TS2 for example.

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks