How come DVD menus sometimes sound louder than the movie on it?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StephenA, Aug 18, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I've noticed this when I play certain movies, the menu is louder than when the movie starts. How come it seems like this?

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Or how about that wonderful MGM lion logo?

The movie, menus, etc. are all prepped separately and are brought together in the authoring of the final disc.

IMHO, the sound levels for menu items, etc. should all be relative to the movie's level. Somewhere in the production and/or quality control discrepancies should be discovered and the offending item(s) be re-done at a lower level.

I recall Anchor Bay doing just this (adjusting menu audio level relative to the movie) for their 1999 Limited Edition DVD of Halloween. That's the way to do it, IMHO.

Cheers,

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

They'll all do that, when they make sure commercials aren't louder than the programs [​IMG]

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    That MGM lion scares the S**t out of me everytime it plays.

It seems like the movies themselves tend to be quieter. I don't know if this discission is to prevent audio distortions by authoring the DVD with a lower sound, but often I have to damn near crank my system in order to hear everything properly.

I have a not bad set up (Panasonic Bookshelf style system.), and I have it calibrated properly. I don't expect it to be booming, but as an example, I start every movie at -12 for volume. 80% of the time, I have to boost it up to -10, with some classic mono films being -6. Lord of the Ring FOTR EE, I had to turn down to -18, as it damn near knocked me out of my seat at -12. I'd rather have that problem, than having to crank my system, as I don't know what type of damage it could potentially cause to my hardware (other than an unexpected explosion blowing a speaker.) Does anyone know if these package systems where you buy everything in a box can be blown? I'm not a techie, just a movie buff.

Anyways, 8-Mile was booming loud on the menus at -12 last night, while I had to bump it to -10 for the movie. I'd rather leave it at one setting, and prefer to have everything like LOTR, where it's friggin loud from the get go, sounds great, and doesn't make me have to use that center channel boost thing that makes voices all tinny,

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The Artisan DVD of Laurel & Hardy streeting 8/19 is terrible in this regard. The menus are deafening and the films are very quiet. Keep the remote close at hand!

6. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Nothing worse than waking up at 3am to the sound of really loud looping menu music(RLLMM) after you realize you fell asleep watching your movie.

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

How about the Monkees (Season 1) set! AHHHH! Those menus were SCREAMIN!!!!!!!

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I guess this is common then. It sure can be aggrevating when you don't expect it. Sometims I even think the movie'll be as loud as the menu section, then get disappointed when it isn't. They should keep the sound level consistant.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

MGM finally changed their intro; it doesn't have the lion anymore.

10. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

The MST3K releases are the same way-the menus are about 25% louder than the feature, so when it goes back to the menu after the feature ends, you have to scramble for the volume or lose your hearing!

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Typically, the menus don't have to preserve much dynamic range headroom, so they can be made louder. Why they would want them to sound so different is still a mystery to me. It probably has something to do with the folks working on the menus living in a completely different universe from the folks working on the film's a/v transfer and compression.

Regards,