How Come Bryston doesn't make a 200WPC Amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Hi folks! In my quest to get to 7.1 (which will be accomplished in early 2003) I am researching amps. I presently have an Anthem AVM-20 mated to the MCA-5 amp (5X200wpc). What I want to do is get a good three channel amp to create a seamless front soundstage when I make the jump to 7.1. I would use 4 of the Anthem's 5 channels for the rears and sides with one channel free. I would like the amp to be about 200WPC (to approximately match the power of my Anthem amp) and have balanced connections. I'm presently not looking at the new Anthem line because I would like a slight upgrade over the Anthem amps if I can swing it.

Was looking at either the Bryston 5BSST or 6BSST (preferably used), however, the 5BST is rated at only 120WPC while the new 6BSST is 300WPC. The older 6BST's, which I'm checking out on Audiogon are 250WPC and I seem to be leaning in that direction if I see a good price on a used model.

Question is why doesn't Bryston produce an amp rated in between these two units? Seems like most beefy multi-channel amplifiers are in the 200 WPC range and 300 is overkill (I know...a generalization there). For someone with bookshelf speakers all around (Paradigm Ref 40's), would the 6BST be overkill? Would the 5BST be enough power for HT? Any other suggestions I'm not thinking of? Thanks.

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Maybe because Bryston's 120wpc is better than middle road
    amps claiming 200wpc, such as Rotel, Adcom, Parasound, Acurus and all the other makers of ho-hum products?

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

So would the 5BST be a good choice? It's suppose to be conservatively rated (more like 150WPC actually) whereas the Anthem runs at about 170 with all channels driven, so maybe these are closer than it seems? See, I may not have Paradigm's my entire life (you know about this hobby!) and if I get less efficient speakers in the future, I want to make sure I have enough power.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

going from 120 to 200 is not quite a 3 dB change so i guess they felt it just didn't make sense. why not get the 5 bst and run the rears with it instead?

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

RMA- You are incorrect sir. [​IMG]
    The Acurus 200x3 was tested by Audio magazine a while back. Know what they got? Want to know? 350 W into 8 ohms, 550 W into 4 ohms. And the newer A200x3 has improved power delivery into sub 8 ohm loads.
    That's don't seem "ho-hum" to me.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Thanks for the replies...

Chu, I want the Bryston for the main soundstage because I want to see if I can get a little better musical reproduction. I think the Anthem is great for HT, but I want to see if a more "respected" amp will give me a difference.

Kevin, one of the reasons I was looking at Bryston was because of the 20 year transferrable warranty if bought used. Do you know Acurus's policy in this regard and if it has balanced connections?

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well if the long warranty is a selling point for you I believe odyssey has a similarly long one perhaps at price points more favorable. btw if you haven't paid attention to the room you've placed your system in, perhaps that's a place you ought to consider working on insofar as improving your overall satisfaction. well whatever you decide you want to get for an amp, you'll be able to play around with the setup [​IMG]

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Odyssey's 20 yr warranty is only good on parts. Labor is covered for a measly 2 years. After that, it's $20/hour. Not quite the same as Bryston but then, amps aren't particularly complex so it shouldn't take long to get it fixed. Odyssey does seem to have a pretty fanatical fanbase though. Since it's only available factory-direct, finding one to audition might be problematic. They do have a 30-day return policy but they claim it takes 6 weeks to fully break-in and sound its best. Gee, I wonder why? [​IMG]

9. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Evan,

When you buy a Bryston amp it comes with the testing specs that were done on that particular amp at the factory. Every sheet I've seen (and I've seen a few) shows that the amp clip at a significantly higher wattage than what they put on their specs. IOW, you get an amp with a significant amount of headroom. For instance, the 250X amps typically don't clip until they are approaching 320 watts PER channel output. Regards.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Evan- Acurus is no more. (Acurus was made by Mondial Designs, who also makes Aragon. Klipsch bought Mondial Designs, who has for now, "retired" the Acurus name.)

But. I would heartily recommend that you take a look at what Aragon has out now. I had a 3 channel Aragon 8008x3 (200W per channel I think) to compare to the Acurus. The Aragon was a big, bad, beautiful amp. But kind of "outclassed" the rest of my eqp, so I stuck with Acurus.

But really, Bryston makes awesome gear too. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

11. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Evan,
    I currently have the Bryston 3B-ST amp (the same as the 5B-ST amp except one less amplifier) hooked up to a pair of Studio 60v2. I cannot get that amp to clip at high volume levels with plenty of bass. I would recommend for yourself as you seem to have good gear is to purchase a used Bryston 4B-ST. I know this is only a two channel amp, however, with that extra amp you have in the Anthem, it can power the center channel. I mean, really, with the center channel set to small (or even large for that matter) how much power is really required for that size of speaker?
    By the way, just for the sake of accuracy, my Bryston amp does have a certificate stating that each channel can output 154 watts but using a 2kHz signal. It does not say on the certificate if that occurred with both channels driven.

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I dont understand why is matching power an issue here? Why do all the amps have to be 200 W/ch for proper matching. If at all you should be worried about the timbre match, i.e. match warm amps from one manufacturer with warm amps from another one. The power numbers are specified differently by each manufacturer so why worry about it. Some specify it @ 1KHz, some from 20-20KHz, some with all channels driven and some with two channels driven, some at a higher distortion...etc..etc. It all depends on what their marketing team decided would appeal most to consumers. So dont worry about those numbers. Once the system is properly level matched it doesn't matter if the front mains are driven by a 1000W amp and surrounds, by a 200W amp. As long as all the amp are powerful enough to drive your speakers to satisfactory levels this should be a non issue.