What's new

How come all channel stereo sounds better than DPL II? (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
In my situation, PL for movies and TV, 5ch for music.
That's why I have 2 JBL 4410's for rear, and 2 4312's for fronts. I had small speakers for the rears and 5ch. was bad.
Want a real kick? Try 2 Aural Exciters for front and rear, you'll wonder why you have a sub. If you have an EQ setup, disconnect it. I have 3 exciters and I love it. Can't explain it.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
No I would have to say educated personal taste!
*grin* Alright, educated personal taste it is. How does that change the fact that it is his opinion of how things "should be", no matter how educated that opinion is?
We're back to square one - is there a right and a wrong way to do this, or is it a matter of taste? I believe it's a matter of taste, that's all.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Marc: One other thought...
I apologize if I missed someone already mentioning this (I scanned this thread pretty quickly.)
If memory serves(??), I don't think Onkyo allows you to adjust the DPL II Music mode (there are 3 adjustments, Panorama, Dimension and Center Width which available on most of the other brands out with DPL II so far.) So if you are listening to music on it, you "may" not be hearing DPL II Music at it's best. For whatever reason (and Dolby does not require it) Onkyo left the adjustments off some of their units.
------------------

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
If I may interject, I think it is indeed fair to say PLII Music mode is a matter of subjective assessement. It is taking 2-ch stereo and making 5 channels out of it. The original mixer never heard it this way. The result is a reflection of the technology used to perform the logic decoding, but also on the aesthetic sensibilities of its designer, Jim Fosgate. Both aspects affect the end result. The same is true of Logic 7, Neo:6, Circle Surround, etc., and that's why they all sound as different as various brands of loudspeakers.
So whether one is buying surround decoders, loudspeakers, or going to a movie or a restaurant, the perspectives and biases of the designers or reviewers should be known and in accord with your own before you can take their advice as being any indication of how well you will be satisfied with the product in question. That's why, as illustrated here, "opinion pole" shopping isn't always the right answer for every consumer.
Mr. Fosgate and Dolby have tried to explain some of the philisophy as well as technical aspects that led to the aesthetics of PLII. See http://www.dolby.com/tech/l.wh.0007.PLIIops.pdf if interested in this topic.
------------------
Roger Dressler
Dolby Laboratories
[Edited last by Roger Dressler on September 15, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Just a thought; I like DPLII for movies off satelite (and old dvd's[like I even bother much with old movies]) but it seems to me that for music (in my opinon) it's just another DSP...Sometimes it sounds good / sometimes not. Too often it seems like people think that it's the holy grail. Some people like what yamaha does, some like "circle surround", some "logic 7",etc...What I am looking for is better mixes/recordings in multi-channel so we can all stop "guessing" as to how to DSP- it!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.