What's new

how close it too close? (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my dilemma. I currently own a 46" RPTV and sit 7.5' away. I had to get something that "small" while in my last house. I have since moved and I am in a larger dedicated room with complete light control. While this set still looks good, I want MORE of the HT experiece and I want to go bigger. I am looking for some guidance and suggestions here.

I can either buy/afford a DLP or LCD in the 60-62" range and sit 8-8.5' away (giving myself roughly 30° viewing angle). I could also buy a projector and mount a 96" screen 12' away (giving myself roughly 32° viewing angle).

As you can see by the numbers, a 60" screen from 8.5' almost occupies as much visual real estate as a 96" screen from 12'. All in all, I would rather go the TV route I think (less hassle, less expensive {good projector, long cable runs, mount, screen etc.}, no discernible fan noise issues).

My concern is 8-8.5' too close for a 60-62" TV watching HD and DVD? Pixel-wise, I think I am OK. I have seen the screen and know that it will look good from that close. That really isn't the issue. I am more concerned that the "TV" will seem too large...too close. Usually the lights will be off when viewing...but somtimes the dimmer will be on and the TV will be visible. I just don't want to feel like I am sitting right on top of the TV. I did a calulation to see how big a new TV would seem to me using my 46" set, and I needed to sit 5' away. I liked how I was immersed in the image, but with the lights on I felt like I was sitting IN my TV. I want the same visual field, but without the feeling of being swallowed by the physical state of the set.

Comments, suggestions, personal experience?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I'm 11 ft from a 102" screen.

I used to be 8 feet from a 61" screen. It should be fine.

For HD ... the guide line is 1 to 3 times screen height for max effect.

Regards

Foster_G

Agent
Rob,
The best thing I know to do would be just to experiment distances. Room depth might come into play if you feel too close, but only you can know if you are too close or too far away from your picture. I'm going to second Michael's advice and say that 2 to 3 times the screen height is usually the standard. I, myself, am approximately 9' from a 54"Hx96"Wx110"Diag. screen and I have no problem with the distance.
However, at the end of the day, its all about you, just try some distances out and see what you like. I hope this helps. Enjoy

Foster

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The other distance rule is for interlaced SD programming. This is 5 to 7 times screen height. Back up until you cannot see the scan lines in the image.

I have not heard of any specific rule for SD progressive scan presentations ... although using the 3x screen height seems fine ...

When you get too far back, the issue becomes seeing less detail/resolution in the image. If you sit too far back, then there is no point to getting a "1200 line" TV when a "900 line" equivalent image is all you will be seeing.

(Terms are purely subjective and are for illustrative purposes only.)

Regards

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
SD viewing will be less than 5%...if that even. Generally speaking, I am not so concerned about being too close to the screen. Just being too close to the physical TV (the psycho-visual effect of being too close).

I guess I won't know until I do it...but I was looking at the environmental aspect more than the technical.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks