how close is too close

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted_Wern, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

Jus t a quick question I hope someone can help me with as I have my whole living room in chaos. Is it safe to put the sub less then a foot from my left main. Also due to the fact that I listen to music with 2 sets of speakers is it safe to have my surrounds sit on top of my second set of speakers which by the way, are on stands. I need some help in setting this up before the wife comes home from work...

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

My sub is about 2 inches away from my left main. Your room and equipment might make this less than ideal (acoustically), but the proximity in and of itself should not be a problem. FYI, if your speakers are not shielded and are too close to a TV, they might cause interference.

Hopefully someone else with more experience can chime in, but my gut tells me that placing two speakers directly on top of one another without some mounting or damping material (to absorb vibration or isolate the channels) is probably not the best idea… Then again, it might “pass for the push” if your short term goal is to put your room back together so you’re wife doesn’t toss you and your equipment out onto the front lawn when she gets home. Just look for another solution while the two of you get used to the equipment and sound.

Good Luck,
    --Steve

3. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Sorry I just don't understand, what do you mean by you use 2 sets of speakers to listen to music???

4. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

What I mean is that when I listen to 2 channel stereo I use 2 sets of speakers. Like 2 sets of mains front and back. I just make use of the a and b speaker outputs on my receiver. When I listen to home theater I shut the rear mains off so just the surrounds and center rear is on in the back. I hope that explains it for you.....

Ted