How close can I put a Sub to my TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentPollard, Dec 3, 2002.

1. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have my 32" Sony TV sitting on a hollow 26 tv console. If I put the sub inside the console the magnet will be about 10" from the bottom of the set. Is that too close? [​IMG] The sub is an old 12" PSB Subsonic II.[​IMG]

2. Michael Preyer

If you can find the specs on your sub, see if it is shielded. Some subs are these days. If so, then distance is not an issue. If it's not shielded, or you can't find out, then look for distortion in the TV picture near where the sub is located. If you see distortion, move the sub far enough from the TV for the distortion to go away.

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I doubt that it is shielded but I will check. How long will it take for distortion to show. Is it immediate or a cumulative effect.[​IMG]

4. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I don't have this TV any longer, but for a little while i used my setup like this and noticed no interference -
    [​IMG]

5. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Chriss, that's a honk'n big sub! What make is it. I had my sub setup similar to yours, out in front of the tv but my 2 yr old kept wanting to climb on it or set drinks on it so I thought about putting it under the TV. [​IMG]

6. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

That's a VMPS Larger sub. I was actually planning on doing something similar to what you are saying - i was originally going to have a piece of glass cut to sit on top of the sub, and i was going to use it as a stand for the TV. Then i ended up buying a widescreen HDTV so that was the end of that plan [​IMG]
    Anyway that was as close to the tv as i could get the sub without actually setting it on top, and i did not see any effects of interference.

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Thanks, I think I'm gonna give it a try. It's not as if it HAS to go there, I'm just trying different placements to try and smooth out the bass. At some point I'll probably go with a SVS. My PSB just doesn't seem to have the balls to give real deep bass without sounding muddy. I read a thread I think in the software section by someone who said that in Reign Of Fire when the dragons flap their wings he could feel it. I don't think my sub would ever be able to achieve that.

8. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Well it has been nearly 3 weeks now since I put my sub under the tv and no problems. So it will probably stay there for awhile[​IMG] Until I do another shuffle.

9. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

You would notice the distortion the second you placed the speaker in a harmful place. If you see none after 2 seconds then there will never be any. Except maybe a very slight build up that would discharge every time you turned the set on. It makes rainbow colors across the screen if there were any interference.

10. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Thanks I was wondering how long it would take to show.[​IMG]

11. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

My concern on this would be the vibration, knocking stuff loose in the set I have a 57hdx83 and have allways wondered if the SVS could do damage as it kicks me in the chest consistantly....Has anyone had these types of problems?