What's new

How cheap are you? (1 Viewer)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
A neighbor of parents who is a million dollar accountant, once characterized how cheap he was by stating that when he is at costco every week he checks the price of rice and beans, the big 50 lb. bags, so that "if the shit went down"... he knows he could eat rice and beans everyday and live off of that for atleast a half year.

So he always keeps $50 dollars on him in case he needs to enact that policy.

-- Matt

ken thompson

Second Unit
Matt,
I believe that second "KHAAANNN!" actually an echo? Is it appropriate to include the echo in the quote?

--Nevermind--

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Guilty of the soap thing and a few others. I thought I only done crazy thing like this but now I feel right at home.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I reuse things a lot...but thats not what I define cheap...cheap is seeing something you want...having the money...and not buying it because a year later it will be on sale for $2 less...that is not me at all...I usually spend ever cent I make...:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
An old co-worker of mine would order a small coffee from Dunkin Donuts, drink half, then take the rest home and put it in the fridge so she could reheat the rest later that night. :eek:

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
I've always pissed in the shower. Hell I'm about to bathe anyway, and I don't piss on my feet. Just aim at the drain.
Actually, I highly recommend you piss on your feet. Urine is amonia-based, and will kill all kinds of foot fungus.

I always go to the bathroom in the shower. The only problem is sometimes it is difficult to mash all that down the drain.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
:laugh:

I buy used CDs. (they play like new)
I only go to the movies in the afternoon to get the discount price.(why spend more for the same movie?)
I only use coupons at Arby's, Long John Silver's, etc.
I only pay $10 a month for my internet connection.
I refuse to own a cellphone.
I put up with my worn-out car speakers rather than buy new ones.
I only get a haircut 4 times a year.
I don't smoke or go to bars.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I gotta side with David VP on the buffet issue. It is 'stealing' if you take the food with you.

Depends on the policies of the place. I've seen buffets where the cashier weighs the food, & you pay by the pound (one rate, regardless of type of food). I wouldn't call taking some of that home stealing, since you paid by weight.

Usually, buffets will have signs saying no takeout if that's the policy.

I've been to other buffets where instead of all-you-can-eat, it's one trip only. In other words, whatever you can fit on one plate, no refills. I wouldn't consider taking part of that home to be stealing either, unless there were signs to the contrary, because I paid for a plate of food.

My logic is that if it's a true all-you-can-eat place, it's wrong to take stuff home, because the prices are based on what people can eat at one sitting, not how much fits in your purse.

Also, some buffets have a to-go option, where you pay a fixed price for whatever you can stuff into the container they provide.

What about places like steakhouses, where there is a buffet, but the server brings a basket of rolls to the table without being asked to? Those can't be served to another customer for health reasons, so I'd take them home if I didn't eat them there. I wouldn't call that stealing, either. Asking for another basket so you can take more home is a different situation.

Sometimes I've gone to steak places where I got a steak, baked potato, & buffet, ate the buffet items, & took the steak & potato home. Not stealing. The restaurant agreed with me, since I specifically asked for a to-go box for those items. (No, I didn't fill the box from the buffet.)

Actually, I'm not sure I'd use the word "stealing" to apply to any of those cases (especially if there aren't signs stating a no-take-home policy). What I would consider stealing would be something like
-Eating, then leaving without paying
-Ordering & paying for one buffet meal & sharing it with others who didn't buy a meal
(Those can both be solved by having people pay on the way in.)
-Buying a meal that doesn't include the buffet, but taking items off the buffet anyway

I'd suggest asking the manager if it's OK to take stuff home. If they say yes, nobody can credibly call you a thief.

What if I go to McDonald's & ask for ketchup with my meal, they give me 10 packets, I use 6 there, & take the other 4 home? Do you consider that stealing? They gave them to me free, after all. Or what if I grab a couple packets on the way out?

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Let's see
- I will spend several minutes fixing pens that have failed when I have a whole box of them.

- I will put as little as $2 of gas in the car, just enough to roll in the driveway.

- I use cd-r coasters in any way I can find.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I once read that Clint Eastwood has solar roofs on several buildings he owns, and sells the excess electricity he generates back to the power companies
i heard that if you generate electricity, and you generate more than you use, and you have your lines hooked up to the power companies grid, they HAVE to buy it from you. this is only what i heard of course, not fact. it could be true, i heard it from a reputable source, but even those are wrong sometimes. anyone know more about this? and i am so cheap, i am thinking of creative ways to force the power company to buy electricity from me.

CJ

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I think I've got you all beat!

I bought my first DVD player the same day I met my former girlfriend. I soon realized I couldn't afford both "hobbies". :D

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
I fashioned a horseless carriage out of two small rotund sticks of butter and some of my grandmother's finest china. It was quite the spectacle.

James Davis

Agent
I had someone tell me their mother in law would drain and rinse cottage cheese when it went bad, and add more milk. The cheese doesn't go bad so quickly, it's the milk.

She would also put stale potato chips in the oven and warm them up to get rid of the stale taste and serve them to guests.

My set mom ran a restauraunt/catering business. She would have me wash the plastic desert plates to reuse. It's cheaper to throw them away, then the time it takes to pay someone to wash 100 of them, and for the hot water. She wasn't doing it for enviromentel reasons either.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
heard that if you generate electricity, and you generate more than you use, and you have your lines hooked up to the power companies grid, they HAVE to buy it from you. this is only what i heard of course, not fact. it could be true, i heard it from a reputable source, but even those are wrong sometimes. anyone know more about this? and i am so cheap, i am thinking of creative ways to force the power company to buy electricity from me.
they are required to buy it from you, but since they don't really want anyone to do this, they make it as difficult and expensive as possible for you to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks