What's new

How cheap are you? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Most restaurants are on the lookout for cheap-o's like you!
David, that's kind of harsh, isn't it? While I don't mind referring to some of my habits as "cheap", I seriously resent you referring to ME as a "cheap-o" let alone as a "thief". Tsk! Tsk! "People who live in glass houses..."

To elaborate for YOUR benefit, I consume very little at each meal. I can never EVER finish a single platefull at an "all-you-can-eat" buffet. BUT...if I pay for a plate of food, I'm leaving with a plate of food, especially when it's costly to begin with (which this place is). I don't see the point of throwing MY leftovers in the trash, especially when it's enough for two more meals (or at least as a treat for my dog). If I pay for it...I'm taking it!!! Actually, it's more economical (and cheaper for me) getting the buffet "to go" as I can get three meals out of one order; however, some of my friends like to go there and stuff themselves like it's a contest. Not me. Nuff said?

Let's keep this thread on the lighter side...and not be so judgemental of others' confessions. You'll scare off others from posting in fear of a tongue-lashing from "DavidVP". This is supposed to be fun.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I sometimes don't flush after I pee, why waste that gallon of water. But I would never let a you know what simmer in there.

And I'm sure numerous guys here have worn the same pair of boxers twice (or ten times) without washing them. I mean who actually had time to wash clothes when in college.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
I spend almost 55 dollars a month on my internet. But I freak out if someone leaves a light on when not in the room. Because of course that saves me about 12 cents a month.
i think Steve_Tk is my long lost brother:), i do the exact same thing. my kids think i'm nuts.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David, that's kind of harsh, isn't it? While I don't mind referring to some of my habits as "cheap", I seriously resent you referring to ME as a "cheap-o" let alone as a "thief". Tsk! Tsk! "People who live in glass houses..."
Say what you will....but it IS robbery (IMO).
Buffets are for EAT-IN purposes...not for loading up your purses/satchels with free food! That's ridiculous.

As for KNOWING you will not be able to finish what you've put on your plate....then WHY put that much on your plate in the first place??!! It's obvious why people do this: So you can take stuff home for free when you know full well you're not supposed to.

And, quite obviously, it's not the right thing to do. And only serves to drive prices up at these type of establishments.

Sorry if you're offended...but those are the facts of the matter.

And, having in past years, been in the buffet food-service industry where I saw this type of thievery taking place daily (cutting into profits) I become outraged when such tactics are brought to the forefront of a conversation.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
They were two left shoes ... said "something doesn't look right.....".
I don't know if you meant to be that "punny," but I literally just laughed myself to tears on that.:D:emoji_thumbsup:

Todd

P.S. my next home will have rainwater collection, along with solar panels. That's just efficient use of resources, IMO.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I gotta side with David VP on the buffet issue. It is 'stealing' if you take the food with you. It is not uncommon for a buffet place to have a rule that doesn't allow you to take the 'leftovers' home with you, and if you don't like that rule, don't eat there.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
P.S. my next home will have rainwater collection, along with solar panels. That's just efficient use of resources, IMO.
I agree. A large scale rainwater collection system on the roof can provide a nice amount of water for various non-drinking tasks. And solar panels are just cool.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
How much does that stuff cost? And what can you run off the solar panels? Obviously not a dryer or Tv, but probably bathroom lights and stuff.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I buy most my clothes at second hand stores. You can actually find some really good stuff for very cheap.

Ryan

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I'm cheap but not that cheap. The only things I insist on buying name brand are condoms. That .50 saved by getting one out of a vending machine is insignificant compared to the college education i'll likely be financing 18 years from now due to its failure
On a more serious cheap note. I almost always get discount movie tickets at the local grocery store. Before Panara Bread changed there policy. I used to always pick up office orders and get multiple sandwich punches on my card. Double on Tuesday (Tuesday is a good day for me).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have nothing to add (and I certainly can't beat the first post, reusing coffee grounds!!!).

But I just wanted to say thanks to all the participants for helping me pass the last fifteen minutes of my work week with a smile! :)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for a David VP agreement on the buffet issue as well. You can rationalize it any way you'd like, it is still theft.

As for me...my parents were so cheap when I was a lad, they'd cut holes in my pockets around Christmas time so I'd have something to play with. :D

Jon

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
I buy most my clothes at second hand stores. You can actually find some really good stuff for very cheap.
I would never buy shoes, socks, or underwear second hand, but virtually every shirt or pair of pants I've purchased in the last five years has come from a thrift store. And since there is always a "50% ____ colored tags!" sale, I just buy items with the right tag and save even more.

I truly find it astonishing that anyone would go to The Gap and pay $18 for a frickin' t-shirt.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the cheapest man spends the most.
I always try to cheap out and cost myself more in the end :frowning:

Ryan T

Second Unit
I would never buy shoes, socks, or underwear second hand, but virtually every shirt or pair of pants I've purchased in the last five years has come from a thrift store. And since there is always a "50% ____ colored tags!" sale, I just buy items with the right tag and save even more.
Thats why I said most LOL. I would never ever ever buy underwear at a second hand store thats just nasty. I don't buy shoes or socks there either. Just shirts, shorts, pants, and a pair of speakers every once and a while :).

Ryan

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for a David VP agreement on the buffet issue as well. You can rationalize it any way you'd like, it is still theft.
Mark, Jon ......
Thanks for the comments.
You two guys are welcome in my restaurant anytime (because I know you won't steal from me). :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Poll (in line with topic of thread): When is it proper to throw out a tube of toothpaste? (Should you not be able to eke out one more molecule of 'paste before discarding tube? And: Should the tube be officially run over with a steam-roller in order to extract every possible inch of product?)

Thanks.

(BTW: Does anyone here actually floss their teeth? I never have. Was just curious. And: What about "re-using" floss? Any el-cheapos do that? :))

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I can't go to sleep without flossing. Doesn't matter how good you brush you teeth, if you don't floss you will have problems in the future. Just takes long time. Plan for dental problems in your 50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks