What's new

How cheap are you? (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My aunt buys 2 ply toilet paper and my uncle says it's too expensive. So he SEPARATES it!
I've been cheap, (or lazy) that sometimes I'll just use my hand and roll it around instead of using TP. Then change to the other hand and get the knuckles and wrist involved. After that I take a whiff because everyone loves their own brand. And then wash it off with water (soap costs $).

Then I'll eat dinner with my hands because I don't want to wash anything. Sometimes I get a bit of my own brand flavor added to supper.

JK

John Gates

Second Unit
All good examples. You guys are, as the comedy relief in Scorpion King says, "tigher than a crab's buttocks."

I drive 5 miles to save 2 cents per gallon on gas. Old habit, and very hard to break.

I always order water and rarely order fries at a restaurant. I am magically drawn to 99 cent value menus.

I buy factory-direct HT stuff whenever possible.

Beware of substandard TP...

John G

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Without getting specific as to my plan, I will say this: Cubic Zirconia looks very much like a Diamond to the untrained eye.
Wow...just think of all the money you'll save on dates when she dumps you! (After she has the ring cleaned and appraised.)

As for being "frugal"...
1) I'm saving $$$ for a new house, so instead of buying magazines and expensive gourmet coffee, I hang out at Barnes&Noble reading their mags, and bring my own hazelnut coffee from home.

2) Also been buying DVDs from a pawn shop that gets new releases in weekly. (Got "Friends: Season 2" for $12 and "Roger Rabbit" for $8!)

3) All-you-can-eat buffets are even better when you bring your own tupperware and a large purse! ;)

4) If you use the "self-serve" lines at the grocery stores, keep your coupons and re-use them next time.

My list is endless...my most shameful "savings" are too embarrassing to post. :D

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I have one more. My dad still has his t-shirts from his University days. He's 52 now and wears his shirts(has two) proudly on a weekly basis right after they've been washed. If you've seen underwear deteriorate, then apply that idea to the shirt. The shirt is almost see-through now.
That's when they get comfortable!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
WOAH! I surely hope that most of these replies are jokes!

I'm not usually cheap, and if I do have a cheap side, it's more due to laziness than cheapness:
-I'll drink milk days after the exparation date to avoid buying a new gallon.
-I'll wear underwear and socks with holes to avoid buying new.
-Adding water to the laundry detergent bottles to make them last longer.
-Using the soap until it virtually disappears.

Etc.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll drink milk days after the exparation date to avoid buying a new gallon.
As long as it hasn't soured, it's fine. Those dates are really a "sell by" date anyway, not a "consume by this date or throw away immediately" date.

Most items are good well beyond their sell by dates (which is why supermarkets are allowed to sell them right up to that date).

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Back in college, I bought a jimmy-hat out of vending machine at a gas station for 75 cents and intended to clean it after each use and reuse it for the whole semester.

Sadly, it stayed in the original wrapper. :frowning:

James T

Screenwriter
So do I, but that has nothing to do with being cheap. I prefer to drink water. Not having to pay for it is just a side benefit.
True, but when he admits to doing it beceause he is cheap, then it's different. I also prefer water over most carbonated beverages available.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I'm cheap but not that cheap. The only things I insist on buying name brand are condoms. That .50 saved by getting one out of a vending machine is insignificant compared to the college education i'll likely be financing 18 years from now due to its failure :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That .50 saved by getting one out of a vending machine is insignificant compared to the college education i'll likely be financing 18 years from now due to its failure
Although, the cheapness from buying it from a vending machine might lose you the possibility of using it in the first place. :D

p.s. How funny is this? As I am typing this message, there is a comedian on tv making a joke about how hard it is to find women when you're broke, but it's easier to find them when you have money. :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
All-you-can-eat buffets are even better when you bring your own tupperware and a large purse!
Now this is just WRONG!! :)

Most restaurants are on the lookout for cheap-o's like you! It's only "All-You-Can-Eat" while IN THE RESTAURANT! You're committing a theft is what it amounts to when you leave with a purse bulging with lasagna! :) (Tsk! Tsk!)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
My cousin likes to "catch rain" in large buckets in order to save on the water bill. :)

Plus...To save additional water consumption, this individual doesn't like to "flush" unless absolutely necessary.

(Top that.) :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

McDonald's biggest money maker is their fries. Compared to what they make on fren...excuse me...."freedom" :) fries, they are virtually giving their burgers away.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it strange how you are cheap on some things, but then totally waste on others?

I spend almost 55 dollars a month on my internet. But I freak out if someone leaves a light on when not in the room. Because of course that saves me about 12 cents a month.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

If the guy is paying water charges by the number of litres or gallons he uses, collecting rain water for certain uses (eg: watering plants) makes sense. It would help keep his water bills down to a small extent.

Not flushing though......now that is weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks